Rivert kennet Grayling Day 17th November 2007

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Michael,

I have only seen the canal flow twice in 16 years of fishing at Barton Court, Colin feeder fishes as there is no flow and the dace are massive.

Had a few trout from there and the odd roach nothing to talk about, pike all over the place, and i heard of a 4lb 5oz perch, but dont know if thats true i have had them to 2lb 14ozs.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Barton Court has been netted all over with the fish going in the lake, thats where the big roach are, and if it has been electro fished, Bob would'nt say as the grayling seem to suffer more than other fish, but i trust what you are saying Michael.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
The chap told me that they only electro fished the side stream that heads towards the crossings after the main bridge. He said it was a few years ago and they did it because a lot of trout were taking residence in there.

He also said that they removed the course fish out of the famous Passion For Angling stretch a few miles downsteam because the fly fishermen were complaining about them. He said he was an average angler, but could get some big old roach when the estate had their annual Christmas match on the place. A new chap took over and removed them all straight away.

He said they are starting to show again now under new stewardship, but what a complete waste.

I think your river roach record would be under threat Ray if some of these private game beats opened up their doors to course anglers for a few months a year.

Baton Court used to crawl with grayling and big roach, but they are vanishing quickly. Is it cyclonic or are there darker forces at work?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Michael,

Barton Courts big Roach are very low in numbers, but i do know that when Bob netted the streams to remove the bream, all the fish went into the lake along with a high number of Roach and the odd grayling.

There was a time when you could trot and catch good Roach in numbers from many areas, but not know. The pool behind the hut still has the odd good Roach, but i find that to get the Roach you have to fish into dark, or try the stream by the railway track.

Your right about the game beats, but i have been walking around Bewl Water at nights for the last two weeks, would love to drop a line in there, the things i have been told about the water are mind blowing, and not silly stories, again a game water.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I wondered what happened to those roach.

Despite no 2 pounders I had fish of 1lb 14oz from 3 different areas which vanished almost overnight. One day I had 3 over 1lb 11oz in 3 casts.

Let's hope for the fisheries sake that they return because if those dace don't get big they will lose plenty of dough. I was the only person booked in last Monday.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Its great when you get a water like that to yourself, love roving around.

Have you seen the Buzzards flying over head and the dear, great sight first thing in the morning.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Funny what you say about the pool with the hut Ray.The last timeI was there, maybe 3 seasons ago, I saw a big roach come up over the tail and drop in the deeper water.It was a big two definately.

My biggest from there was however a 1.13lb from the bridge pool taken at last knockings probably 4 or 5 years ago now.

I hope this isn't putting anyone off.It is still a lovely place to spend a day with a float rod anda few of pints of maggots.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Lower Denford

Nigel C(paid)
Claudia(paid)
Neil M(paid)
Merlot(paid)
Wol(paid)
Andy N(paid)
Steve Spiller(paid)
Wendi Spiller(paid)

Jeff Spiller(paid)
Lee S
Mike T(paid but to confirm)

Barton Court

Mark H(paid)
Blankety(paid)
John H(paid)
Mithrandair(paid)
Graham Whatmore(paid)
Scott Whatmore(paid)
Bryan Baron.
Clive(paid)
Nick(paid)
Yoggy
Speci(paid)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well guys i do hope you have a great day.

Nigel,

You are right it is still a great place to fish, i always take some casters along. Even though i have been fishing there for 16 years the place has something about it.

I still think that somewhere, there are still a few 2lb Roach to be had, and the Grayling are still there in numbers. Always caught fish there and now the frosts have started the place should be in great shape.

For all of you guys going who haven't been before, you will love the place, take a camera cos you never know what you may see, and i promise you will want to go back again.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Mike, give Swordsy a whack on the bonce mate.

You might the best looking angler on tinternet Lee??? but you gotta cough up some dosh /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Lower Denford

Nigel C(paid)
Claudia(paid)
Neil M(paid)
Merlot(paid)
Wol(paid)
Andy N(paid)
Steve Spiller(paid)
Wendi Spiller(paid)

Jeff Spiller(paid)