SECRET SOCIETY

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Fred
I think Phil ,like a lot of others, "are interested in something they have no part of"(your words)because all the rows, arguments and 'dirty washing' keeps getting rammed down their throats on this forum and many others......

F

Fred Bonney

Sorry Ed,unless I am mistaken,I didn't think you were interested in the Barbel threads?
For my part,I am personally defending the Barbel Society, from IMHO, unwarrented attacks.
In my opinion, and christ know's how many times I've said it,what has the closure to anybody, but members, of a minor part of a website,got to do with anybody whose not a paid up member?
As for dirty washing,as far as I can tell,the only ones attempting that are non members.
I don't count anything that Bob says as relevant.
I think you have also said before...if you don't like it don't read it.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I fully agree that you should defend the BS from attacks if thats how strongly you feel about it --I'm not having a go at you ....

"I think you have also said before...if you don't like it don't read it."

I agree Fred....I have said it before

"Sorry Ed,unless I am mistaken,I didn't think you were interested in the Barbel threads?"

I'm interested in everything on here --I read the lot .......

"In my opinion, and christ know's how many times I've said it,what has the closure to anybody, but members, of a minor part of a website,got to do with anybody whose not a paid up member?"

Nothing I don't suppose ....... but it becomes a part when it is posted on a non-BS website

F

Fred Bonney

It's Ok Ed,not taken as a personal go at me.
Just look back at all the agravation,all created by an individual with a personal axe to grind and jumping on the bandwagon for, in my opinion, personal self grandification and no more.
Just compare how he writes himself up,compared to the others, on the DVSG site.

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL with Pride

"sign of an empty life Fred. ;)"

Oh I wish it was so!

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL with Pride

?As I understand it, any member who has a point to raise can put it before the AGM, this occurs as you all know in all forms of 'business'.?

John
Further questions for you
Has the BS got a Constitution?
The reason I ask is because all I can find, as any prospective future member could find, is a set of aims and objectives, which are not the same as a constitution. A constitution sets out, or should set out clearly how the organisation operates at all levels.
E.g., and in no particular order
How the officers are elected.
How polices which are decided at the AGM are to be carried out by the officers elected or not.
Whether decisions made at the AGM are binding on the organisation and its officers to carryout or not.
Whether the membership get a vote at the AGM.
Sets out a timeframe for notices of motions and how they will be dealt with at an AGM.
The parameters of the officers/committee regarding what decisions they can make on behalf of the organisation and what should be put to the full membership at the AGM for a decision.
How complaints about perceived or real breaches of the constitution will be dealt with.
It should explain how the membership will be told about the finances of the Organisation. E.g., Yearly balance sheet, half yearly, quarterly, etc.
How its sub-committees function, their terms of reference, etc.
It should tell the membership about its agreed policies.
And much, much more!

?Join up, put your point to the Secretary, then have all in attendance vote at the AGM.
Simple.?

John don?t you think perspective members have the right to know all the above before they join up? Because I do, and would never pay money to join an organisation that I could see at a glance, how it functioned and how its structure was set up. And for me that has to be in its freely available constitution.

?And Phil, I would have expected something less emotional from you!?
That?s your view you?re entitled to it. But it shouldn?t surprise you that I don?t agree with it.

?Nowhere did I, or anybody else state, you can't ask questions, just why are you interested in something you have no part of."
John because its being discussed on here (A none BS Site) and I have a view on it, which I'm entitled to express.

?After all, it's only fishing.?
Should all semblance of a democratic society go out of the window because its only fishing? I think not, and I am surprised that you think that.

F

Fred Bonney

You talking to me?
If you are,I have no authority to clarify any of the membership details of the Barbel Society
All I can say is that 1400 people appear to be happy enough , whatever the situation may be.
Some of us joined for the company,the fisheries and of course to go fishing,and that's all that matters!

K

Keith Truscott

Fred,

I think your first line is exactly where Phil is coming from, and qualifies his point of view, as to the clarity of what rights as a member he gets with his potential membership. This to a lot of people is as much if not more important than magazines, newsletters and conferences.

Society membership falls mostly into two camps, those that like me when I joined, do it out of principle as they think it is the right thing to do for the species and because they think it has some political sway.

Then there are those that join for the reasons you state. Nothing wrong there, as that is the club side of the organisation. Only problem being the society is not just a club it is a "society" While it remains so, and continues to try and impose its ideals on all anglers, and tries to influence constitutional bodies and regulations covering others fishing, then surely those self same anglers have every right to express thier opinion.

Keith

F

Fred Bonney

They have,but they're not Keith,this thread is about a website.

P

pons

Evening All,
You are quite right Fred,this thread was originally about closing the website,but has as on other sites,brought debate on other issues to the fore.

Potential new members have voiced concerns on the democracy of the BS,and other matters that the forum ,or the BS have the opportunity to answer,or not.

I did speak to Paul Owens today after he rang me,and had a very frank chat,which did allay some of my doubts and he did answer all my questions,with honesty and that blunt Yorkshire Charm,with shades of Sir Geoffrey Boycott.

One suggestion I made to him concerned appointing a press officer,rather than expecting Steve Pope to front every announcement,to the press or websites.

I did express my concerns at the demise of the fisheries,which in many cases have been suffering from lack of maintenance,a point which he took on board,though is well aware of.

Anyway,I will rejoin,as I feel I can contribute more from within than out,and hopefully can help to promote and change a few issues that still bother me.

Pons.

F

Fred Bonney

Ok Chris I accept,I was thrown by a response from a recently resigned Secretary/ Committee member of many years service.
Glad to see you are on the way back,there is no doubt in my mind, you can contribute a great deal.
Keith as well, I hope you remain a member.

K

Keith Truscott

Sorry Fred do not quite understand your reply, and did not grasp the fact that this topic was purely about the website.

Fail to see how this makes any difference though. There is to much secret sqirrel stuff within fishing as it is, perhaps for the same reasons as in my last paragraph some would like to see what stance the society is going to take on some things, and how it effects them as anglers.

This can be a double edged sword and benefit membership as much as cause controversary.

Keith

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Pon's,

Re-joining?

Missing me already ain't'cha!

Regards,

Lee.

P

pons

I am reminded of that line in the Leanne Rhymes song,
"How can live without you"

Yeah,Yeah ,Yeah ,whatever !

Ta ra me duck,

Pons.

F

Fred Bonney

Keith,I am certain all interested parties will be advised.When the appropriate decisions have been taken,what ever they might be, and, after the membership has been advised.
Then non members can give an opinion.

Just as they were, when you were on the Committee!

Unless you can advise us otherwise?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Meanwhile the substantial percentage of members that are very happy with the way the Barbel Society conducts its business, accept that................You can't please all of the people all of the time. Just endeavour to do your best.

Just like life actually.

If people have strong views, pay your ?18 or so and have a say from within, where you have a voice.........because you are now a member, and have a right to contribute, and be heard. But don't expect to win everytime because others may have different thoughts and views.

Graham

F

Fred Bonney

They won't listen to me,my old mate,perhaps they will to you.

I doubt it though.

Sorry Graham,not old in age ;o)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
So should I join the B.S?

One observation I have made as a non-member is, there seems to be a lot of in-fighting, sorry, I know Bob will be happy to hear me say that. Has the in-fighting spilled out onto FM since the recent changes at the B.S?

I have been/am seriously considering joining the B.S, but I am concerned and surprised at the comments made from both sides.

I am not trying to prevoke a reaction, but is the B.S ok?

Steve.

B

BLAM

Some people seem to expect a lot for ?18 or so. The administrative costs of sending out voting forms every time a change in policy or personnel is mooted would be a waste of money. I didn't expect there to be a fully fledged democratic system in place when I joined and wouldn't support one now.

The committee are spending a lot of time listening to members views at present and whether or not all of my opinions and suggestions are heeded I'll still support the result/verdict.

S

STEVE POPE

Steve, the BS is fine.

We have a membership in the region of 1400, and most are very happy with the way things are.

You will be made very welcome and will learn an awful lot from the vast experience within the ranks.

Don't be put off from what you read on here from one or two of the posters, join up and see for yourself!

All the best,

Steve.