The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything!

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
When we were apprentices,two pattern maker app's were mixing epoxy resins but with far more activator in the mix,they put a metal bucket over a cardboard tea cup of this mixture,the bang was like a bomb going off and the bucket was never seen again...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Because we were Mancunians, they are poor than Lancastrians, we made our own pea guns out of wood, hardboard and thick elastic bands. They were and still are the bees knees. Just think how powerful they'd be with todays catty elastic on them??????? Boy would your arse sting if you were hit with a pea from one of them!

Thinking about it now, the skills you learnt in carpentry were good, taught you knock panel pins straight, along with sawing in a straight line. Tolerances so the trigger fitted in the handle and worked smoothly. Sanding down and probably other I've forgot.
We used to use fence staples in an elastic band across finger and thumb.
Failing no staples , it was the inner of heavy duty twin core wire cut to size .
Gat guns were another , fired .177 pellets, corks and potato pellets .

Did anyone make French Arrows ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
For those that are not sure on Sekiden gun
s-l500.jpg

The bad one

Reaction score
Was a French Arrow made of cain, flights fitted at one end and a cord wrapped around it and then thrown, the cord making the arrow accelerate and spin in flight?

nottskev

Reaction score
Was a French Arrow made of cain, flights fitted at one end and a cord wrapped around it and then thrown, the cord making the arrow accelerate and spin in flight?

I think so. We called them Swiss Arrows. No idea why, but who can explain Chinese burns, French kisses, American soda.........? Liquorice round our way was called "Spanish".

The bad one

Reaction score
Oh and don't forget a whip of a tree and clay ball flicked from it. The modern twist to this is a plastic pipe an inch dia, thrown in the soft earth and the earth flicked out of it.

@Clive

Reaction score
I made a batch of bait intending to fish yesterday, but the heavy rain has caused a postponment until at least tomorrow. I'll keep stirring the pigeon peas and particle mix to prevent it going moldy and induce a bit of good fermentation. As you can see the pigeon peas aren't maple peas or whatever they call gray pays in Wolverhampton and Dudlay. I'm hoping they will be big enough deter the bleak that will take full grains of sweetcorn.

20230413_114354_resize_30.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Native Americans and many others dating back centuries used an Atalatl to throw a spear.