The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything!

rayner

Reaction score
I found my Holy Grail of cyprinid bait today in the form of Pigeon Peas. 22% protein, 6 B vitamins and €2 a kilo. I have been looking for something like this for years. I couldn't justify buying a 25kg sack. However, today I dropped on a 5kg bag that will do me all summer.

Some of those peas steamed and mashed along with some milled maize and tinned hemp seeds should make a great spod mix.
What you are calling pigeon peas are tick beans, look a little like tares and work well for roach.

peterjg

Reaction score
I definitely recommend keeping a fishing diary, I have them going back to the '70s. I also have quite a few fishing books and they sometimes contain which baits and rigs work but your own fishing diaries can remind you of previous cock-ups and useless rigs and bait ideas that you have tried and failed with. Diaries can save making the same mistakes twice.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I definitely recommend keeping a fishing diary, I have them going back to the '70s. I also have quite a few fishing books and they sometimes contain which baits and rigs work but your own fishing diaries can remind you of previous cock-ups and useless rigs and bait ideas that you have tried and failed with. Diaries can save making the same mistakes twice.

I’ve started to keep them several times in the past but have for one reason or another failed to keep them up, probably laziness on my part. Last year I started one on my iPhone in the notes part. This is far easier as you can put photos etc on as well. I created a template and copied and pasted it a dozen times or so. Now it’s easy to fill in he details.

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8860.png

You can add as many photos of the trip as you want. Venue, trip, fish, or if you see something interesting. I may add; wind direction etc to the template at some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
They look similar, but not the same. Pigeon peas are cajanus cajan tick beans are vicia faba.
Clive, we refer to pigeon peas as "Grey Pays" round here, generally served with bacon bits, salt and pepper and some crusty bread. Am I to believe this Black Country delicacy should be fed to fish :eek::eek:

@Clive

Reaction score
Clive, we refer to pigeon peas as "Grey Pays" round here, generally served with bacon bits, salt and pepper and some crusty bread. Am I to believe this Black Country delicacy should be fed to fish :eek::eek:
I do feel sorry for those people in deprived areas. Lancastrians seem to exist on cow's heels, pig's trotters and tripe which I think is really offal. And the poor Dudlays nicking their peas from pigeon breeder's lofts. Why not eat green peas like we do in God's broad acres? Its not like they are expensive or hard to grow. I mean, even the French don't eat pigeon peas and they do eat some pretty disgusting stuff.

I'll be having a big cooking session next week; whole and ground maize and a pressure cooker pan full of pigeon peas. Feel free to join us if you facy a treat. But don't forget your Black Country / English phrase book.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I do feel sorry for those people in deprived areas. Lancastrians seem to exist on cow's heels, pig's trotters and tripe which I think is really offal. And the poor Dudlays nicking their peas from pigeon breeder's lofts. Why not eat green peas like we do in God's broad acres? Its not like they are expensive or hard to grow. I mean, even the French don't eat pigeon peas and they do eat some pretty disgusting stuff.

I'll be having a big cooking session next week; whole and ground maize and a pressure cooker pan full of pigeon peas. Feel free to join us if you facy a treat. But don't forget your Black Country / English phrase book.
Sorry Clive yowm a star fer offerin ower kid, but i ay fun a tram ter Sharont from Dudlay so I woe be abel ter mek it.

mikench

Reaction score
Pigeon peas are called maple peas or more commonly oop north , black peas. They are a great northern delicacy eaten around bonfire night with just pepper and vinegar. I never miss an opportunity to eat them as they are delicious. Carp like them too. Put two on a hair when all else fails. They need to be simmered for less time if used for fishing. They freeze well too if still hard.

rayner

Reaction score
Not so common Mike, for one I have never heard of pigeon peas. Around the bonfire, we had mushy peas.

@Clive

Reaction score
Pigeon peas (Cajanus cajan) are not maple peas (pisum sativien).

Maple peas have only 7% protein content whereas pigeon peas have three times that.

The bad one

Reaction score
And we used them in pea shooters and pea guns (that didn't half hurt if you were hit by one) as well Mike. And yes they were Maple peas know as black peas as that's the colour they went when cooked to go with the poverty food of cow heal, trotters and tripe. And if we were lucky, we got some back taxi to chew on!

mikench

Reaction score
So did I. Maple peas were perfect as they were small round and cheap. That was a great toy gun.

Here you go Gary. It won’t be just carp grubbing around for some as they are delicious.

When I was a lad a bloke who my father knew had a large heated container strapped to the front of a BSA 650 and he drove around the town ringing a bell and selling hot cooked black peas. He was never short of customers. That same bloke moved into crane hire and became a millionaire. He always attributed his success to black peas. I love them and always have a kilo in the cupboard.

The bad one

Reaction score
Because we were Mancunians, they are poor than Lancastrians, we made our own pea guns out of wood, hardboard and thick elastic bands. They were and still are the bees knees. Just think how powerful they'd be with todays catty elastic on them??????? Boy would your arse sting if you were hit with a pea from one of them!

Thinking about it now, the skills you learnt in carpentry were good, taught you knock panel pins straight, along with sawing in a straight line. Tolerances so the trigger fitted in the handle and worked smoothly. Sanding down and probably other I've forgot.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had a pistol that fired those peas, Sekiden I think it was called.

I had one of those and took it to my primary school. Lacking ammo, I chewed a milk bottle top into an approximation of a sphere, loaded it into the gun and fired it. I learned a lesson in ballistics, when I found an approximation wasn’t good enough. I missed my target by a mile but not the eyeball of a spectator.

Much boohooing and a bit of grassing up saw me standing outside the headmasters office awaiting the cane. By chance, Garry, a good mate and my usual partner in crime was just about to get six of the best, which he seemed unwilling to accept and just as the headmaster went to take a swipe at Garry’s arse, Garry moved out of range. The head adjusted his backswing and promptly put the cane straight through a double fluorescent light fitting, glass flew everywhere and Garry legged it down the corridor. I of course burst out laughing, which didn’t go down well with the head who heard me. Laughing out loud at the person who is shortly going to beat you really isn’t to be recommended. Still every day is a learning day as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
When we were in school we used to make blow guns from the tubes that the science thermometers came in and fashion cone shaped flights with old fashioned pen knibs at the front and blow them through the tubes. They were quite dangerous and I had my ear lobes pierced and bloodied on more than one occasion. It was Lucky that non of us were hit in the eyes.
I remember that they were very accurate and came out at quite a speed.

Keith

The bad one

Reaction score
The thigs we did as a kid boarded on the edge of terrorism!
Geoff Lees throwing .22 Hilti caps for a nail gun on the furness in metal work. Froffer the metal work teacher wacked him across both hand with a metal bar at least 4 time. Never seen anybody as red in the face as Froffer when those caps went off. Leesy who was always doing practical joke kind of stuff, never messed about again in Froffer lessons.

seth49

Reaction score
Well I used Peter’s additive again yesterday and had another great day with it, 43 in total including my first tench of the year, had a good variety of fish as well, I had by far the best catch out of the other three who were fishing.