The Bristol Avon fish-in, Jan 23rd/24th.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
You know it makes sense Slime, it's a shame, but the right choice I think.

I also think me and S-Kippy are on the same wavelength.........

Tonnes of Brownie points!!! ;):D

It's gotta be worth a Friday and Saturday night stay away next time ;)

Poshers has just confirmed he and Spiders can't make it either, the snow has got a lot to answer for! Good luck Poshers ;)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Okay sorry.

It's a small meandering part of the Avon, it goes from inches to deep holes 7-8 foot. There are a lot of 'schoolie' sized barbel, with bigger ones going double. The chub do go big, 6lb+. It's also got quality roach and some big slabs 7lb+. The pike and perch show up anywhere...

The swims can be trotted or fished on the tip, there's lots of features above and below the surface. If you hook a clonker you'll need the gear to get it out, but you don't wanna go over gunned.

I fish 3lb line on the float, with a 2.6 bottom. On the tip I fish 4lb to 3.2 bottom, if I get smashed I go 6lb to 4lb, if I get smashed again it's 10lb to 6lb. To be honest though, with the temps I'm not expecting the barbel to be that active, if at all? The chub might be though and the roach should be.

I'm fishing it tomorrow, maggots on the float, liquidised bread and flake on the tip or straight lead with cheesepaste.

I honestly don't know what it will be like on the fish-in, we haven't had snow like this in decades. Hopefully it will be dropping when we fish it, I'm sure it will be rising tomorrow as the snow melt comes in.

I'm almost completely silver now! I'm doing me best to find a venue that will fish. Why do I get so unlucky when I organise a fish-in?

Fingers crossed it will be dropping and fining down nicely when we fish it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Steve

Lovely ! That sounds exactly my sort of water and my sort of fishing.

And please stop fretting...I for one am very grateful for the invite and opportunity.We all know the weather may do for us but all we can do is turn up ,give it a go and if it fishes it fishes. Its not your fault if the river is out of sorts.

2.6 bottom ! :eek:

Skippy

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I usually go 1.1 or 1.7, but those pesky barbs are everywhere now.....

I've really got to learn about the modern lines too....

1.7 bottoms are so 'old fashioned' it's all diams now :eek:

Last edited:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
What really anoys me is, you can get WB Clarke in the same diam as my 1.7 but it's 4.5lb....

But my tackle shop don't sell it!!!!

Come on Nick ;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've got me head round diameters when I'm on "sensible" strength line but I'm still not convinced about lower bs/diameters. I bought some WB Clarke but I dont really like it,or any of the Shimano stuff.In fact I haven't really found a hooklink line I completely trust yet. I use Sufix XP [clear] as a trotting mainline...damn good stuff IMO and quite cheap too.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Just got back.

There's a brown froth on the river and it's rising! It was up about 18 inches when I left.

On a happy note I caught two chub, biggest was 3.14, I had to christen my new scales :)

Not a sniff on cheespaste apart from one little rattle. I also lost a good un that 'rooted' me :mad: How do chub know how to do that?

I had the fish on liquidised bread and flake on the tip.

I will send you all an e-mail with a postcode, we wont be fishing the first choice venue, we will be fishing where I was today because I think it will give us a better chance. You'll all love it, I hope.....

Any specific questions just e-mail me.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've got a feeling it's gonna be okay.....
I didn't expect to catch anything at all today, I'm still amazed, the colour was terrible!

Wol wants to do an indian on Saturday evening, I'll have to ask everyone if that's okay? Then book a table or there is a big pub type restaurant at the Premier Inn?

Cakey will probably want some porridge :wh;)

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Quote; Wol wants to do an indian on Saturday evening,

Well, if Wol wants to do that...whatever tickles his fancy...but why does he need us around for it? ;) lol lol

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Claudia is cool . I was on the next peg to her at Clattercote , she doesn't mind if you need to have a p***, she looks the other way.
;)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Mmmmmmmm...... indian.

curry430x300b.jpg