THE CENTRE PIN thread - everything I wanted to know but was too afraid to ask

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My apologies....last week's triple blank seems to have affected me rather more deeply than I thought.

Three blanks in a row S-Kippy?

I'd recommend a large JD over ice for each one; won't improve the fishing but after 3 large ones you'll be just like Rhett Butler and won't give a damn . . . . . . . . . . .

It works for me

aebitim

Reaction score
After centrepin wars I was intrigued so I bought a Trent, I have several pins which are the usual suspects and use them for 20% of my fishing. There were several comments about losing fingers with the drag which were unfounded, the best way to bust a knuckle with the Trent is to Wally cast a 2oz feeder and stop the heavy spool by putting your knuckle in the way of the handles. As a legering reel it is great, the drag works well and is easily adjusted in the heat of battle, it spins smoothly and would trot a pike float, all in all a bit of a niche tool but certainly good enough to make me look at the other okuma centerpins with interest.

Reaction score
Thanks chaps, some good input from most people. I hope other readers have found the info useful.

I particularly liked Alan Tyler's recommended approach - a lot to be said for 'if you like it then keep doing it. If you don't like it then stop doing it'.

And Sam Vimes linked to a useful article on pins.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Blimey I can see why you were 'scared to ask'.... I like using one, it's a Fred Crouch Aerial but it's a bit slow as yet for proper trotting. I went for something simple and robust, old fashioned... like me....Brilliant control over big fish, of that I am convinced. Now all we need is some flow.....

Reaction score
Surely not on Dam(n) Flask though At least take him down to the Don where there are fish so he can get some proper use out of it.

You make a big thing out of people MAKING ASSUMPTIONS on FM Mr Pix. You have assumed that our next fish-in is on Dam Flask and shot from the hip before finding out the facts. Something that you appear to find very important if we are to read your posts.

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Forget that. I shot from the hip. Just re-read your post.

nicepix

Reaction score
You make a big thing out of people MAKING ASSUMPTIONS on FM Mr Pix. You have assumed that our next fish-in is on Dam Flask and shot from the hip before finding out the facts. Something that you appear to find very important if we are to read your posts.

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Forget that. I shot from the hip. Just re-read your post.

Ever so sorry. I just thought that Spiders had confirmed the venue in post 12 on the Dam flask thread in the lakes section.

mick b

Reaction score
Blimey I can see why you were 'scared to ask'.... I like using one, it's a Fred Crouch Aerial but it's a bit slow as yet for proper trotting. I went for something simple and robust, old fashioned... like me....Brilliant control over big fish, of that I am convinced. Now all we need is some flow.....

Hi Paul,
If your reel is a 'bit slow' this is how you free it up.....

1: throughly wash out the spindle hole (in the spool) with petrol or white spirt, ensure you clean out all the old oil from the spool and tension callipers at the same time.
2: remove the centre screw from the middle of the spool and using a hair dryer or tissue paper ensure all the cleaning fluid and remaining gunk is removed, then repleace the screw CAREFULLY.
3: throuroughly clean the centrepin with cleaning fluid, especially the groove the callipers locate into, and dry with tissue paper.
4: assemble the spool on the reel and adjust the centre screw so you can barely feel a movement up and down, not no movement but a very slight movement.
5: remove the spool and using a light grade oil, sewing machine oil is best to start with, oil the centrepin and the spool hole and reassemble.
Now if the spool still runs slowly you can free it up by using either of the following methods.
A) the standard is to sit watching the TV and spin it for hours and hours.
or
B) clean it as above but re-lubricate the centrepin and spool hole with Brasso, reassemble and continue with A above.
C) make a small cardboard sail and fit it to the spool, lubricate with Brasso then using a hairdryer set the reel spinning for 5or6 hours.

Whichever method you use remember to thoroughly clean as above and lubricate with sewing machine oil before use.

Dont think this process is excessive, it is the norm for 'running-in' centrepin, even for reels from most the high-end manufacturers.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
The Okuma reels are the best value for money centrepins you can buy. They really are excellent and bullet proof. You can trott a light stick float or dead bait for pike with them no problem.

laguna

Reaction score
Still admire their simplicity and origins... I was in Bewdley last summer and visited a curiosity shop and spied one of these priced at £80 -it might have been an original rosewood Nottingham Winch for all I know, would you have bought it for your cabinet?

M001475.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Still admire their simplicity and origins... I was in Bewdley last summer and visited a curiosity shop and spied one of these priced at £80 -it might have been an original rosewood Nottingham Winch for all I know, would you have bought it for your cabinet?

M001475.jpg

Not at 80 nicker I wouldn't ! Half that and I'd still be haggling.

nicepix

Reaction score
It's the Trent Mr Pix. So a good venue to try out a pin

So much for the show of resolve then. Common sense prevailed :D

Hope that you enjoy using a centrepin. I prefer using a 'pin wherever I can. I know a few really good anglers who can't get on with them. Nothing to do with skill. More of feeling uncomfortable I suppose. But if you get on with them they are a great way to fish.

If you're going on the Trent you'll be able to invite your mate. He knows the bottom like the back of his hand :D

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

M001475.jpg

Those reels used to go on Chesterfield flea market and car boot stalls for less than a fiver pre-eBay. I've had quite a few and they are too heavy for normal use in the bigger sizes and need too much backing, but generally are smooth running.

There was a Bakelite reel made a few miles from you that is a useable reel for ledgering as it has a ratchet and adjustable drag. I can't for the life of me remember the maker's name but I'm sure that they were made in or around Bradford. They can be had for around twenty notes.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a superb "example" of one of those wooden starback Nottinghams, with a wooden front to the Slater-latched spool and a brass line-drum and backplate behind it, a very fine runner, permanently on my desk here, alternately acting as paperweight and as line holder whenever I change line on a working fixed-spool or pin. Lovely thing. 25p or less many years ago, when Aerials could set you back a horrifying £2.50 to £5!