The New FishingMagic

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
I'm still having a good thunk about what if anything could be added to the site to make it better. I'm really struggling /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

carl pepper

Reaction score
how about some features where the editor goes out with an fm member sometimes and interviews him and takes loads of pictures?

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>carl pepper wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

how about some features where the editor goes out with an fm member sometimes and interviews him and takes loads of pictures?</blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Hewitt wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Good one Carl.</blockquote>
Now i know you are totally mad Mr Hewitt!!.......................................to let some poor inocent FMer be alone for after fishing drinks with HIM!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Thanks Graham.

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

"A new editor will be appointed in the not-too-distant-future and I shall remain as Managing Editor, which includes control of content and the forum. "

taken from..........HERE

Windy

Reaction score
Getting back to the question asked if we may gents....

Personally I always enter the forum via Latest posts.

I very much like the fact that there is such a thing as a Latest posts link, and it is not a feature found on many forums. It saves an awful lot of clicking through the various sub-forums one by one in search of something I might be interested in reading or an update to a thread I am following.

I suspect that it is not a usual feature on many forums precisely because of the fact that without it you are forced to go through the rigmarole of home page + all those clicks to go through the subsidiary sub-forums. This may be thought to enhance the presentation of supporting advertisers material, but I think that is to confuse quantity with quality. If I see an ad I am interested in I will click on it. If I'm not I won't. Forcing me to click through twenty odd pages so I have the same link stuck in my face twenty times just ends up irritating and costing me bandwidth.

Windy

Reaction score
On the issue of advertisers one thing I would appreciate is more genuinely helpful advertorial effort. I don't mean the sort of idiotic 'our new pole is more turbo charged diamond tipped extra eco friendly than the last one' balls but real explanations and expositions of their products. Advertisers willing to make the effort have the luxury of an interested reader and as many words and pics as it takes....

To give you a recent and personal example I was completely and utterly bamboozled by the Sonubaits range of pellets, hookers and feed pellets on a visit to the tackle shop this last week.

When the range first came out it was nice and simple, a decent sized bag of feed pellets with a smaller but sufficient and adequate bag of hookers inside it, all in about three or four basic flavours + three or four sizes, + the 'Skinz' enhanced pellet hooking system. I know this because there were a number of decent advertorial articles about it, not least on here.

Since then and for reasons I cannot for one earthly fathom they have abandoned that attractive simplicity and the Skinz principle in favour of bags and bags and bags and sizes etc of loads of different and completely confusing products in both hard and soft 'S' pellets. All of which the poor benighted tackle shop keeper had neither the knowledge nor the time to explain to me in any detail. So I left the shop in the end after buying nothing.

I went in to the shop to buy Sonubaits products. There was a full stock of their products. I ended up walking out empty handed. Rather an epic fail there to be frank.

The point being, after all that rambling, is that when they decided to abandon the Skinz feed 'n hooker in one bag concept they have done nothing at all as far as I have seen in the angling press or on here to explain (a) that they were doing so (b) why or (c) explain their new range of products and (d) the suggested advantages offered. A decent advertorial of a couple of thousand words on here with a few pics and a short video link or two would have made for a completely different experience in the tackle shop. Fore-warned or rather fore-educated is fore-armed or fore-primed-to-buy.

Not picking on Sonubaits, very far from it, I loved the Skinz both in one concept and product, just bemused that they have abandoned it to my dismay. It's just an example of an advertiser who could make so much more of the advantage of going into things in much greater depth in an online page (or even pages) of links.

I'm sure there are others. Like when we were all wittering on about the suggested invisibility of red line, it would have been most helpful to have had a manufacturer kick in with an advertorial giving some statistics, scientific analysis and a graph or ten.... would have helped a lot and maybe even sold some line.

Windy

Reaction score
On the subject of moderation I find the 'light hand' applied to many controversial threads to be the very best feature of the forum to date.

But then I would wouldn't I, as a perpetrator of the occasional intemperate rant which on many another forum would have seen me suspended or banned along with a good half of the regular posters on here.....

I also suspect that such light handed moderation is possibly a feature of the forum which may deter many of the lurkers from posting for fear of ridicule. That would certainly be one explanation why there is such a large difference between registered numbers and views v. actual posters.

While I would very much hate there to be an overall change of moderation to the 'Nanny State' prevailing on many forums I wouldn't object to there being somewhat more control everywhere but Baitbox. Leave Baitbox as it is, the existence of a place for humour, personalities and to blow off steam is an ideal safety valve and, on occasion, a genuinely challenging venue for really very well informed and properly considered debate.

If people want to get into personalities, insults and name calling in Baitbox so be it, that's the place for it and it does IMHO serve a useful purpose. But then as I said, I would say that wouldn't I as an occasional offender.

But elsewhere in the site, personalities and name calling should simply not be tolerated. Especially irksome are such things as the various members of various clubs and societies extending their committee and personal disputes on to the internet to continue their off-line rows and personality issues in species forums. No-one except the participants in these internicine rows has any interest in them, the miniscule details of who promised what to whom, which resolution wasn't passed or was, the breach of Rule 334 sub clause (b) iii)..... all of endless fascination to the participants but like watching intemperate paint* dry for the rest of us. They cause no end of trouble, get overheated and bad spirited. I don't think I need specify examples, but five or six relatively recent threads come to mind. Delete if posted elsewhere than Baitbox, or transfer immediately to Baitbox....

* Distemper perhaps ? Hat, coat.....

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Bloody hell Evan,

Don't you ever get writers block?........

Good points though, can't disagree.

Windy

Reaction score
There's a reason for the nickname young Hewligan, there's a very good reason..... /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif

Specihunter

Reaction score
on barbel fishing world (i think might be another site with mulitple sites) if you are a member of 1 site you are member of the rest without signing up .