What makes a good Centrepin

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I sort of know what your getting at but having never used a true pin I dont have a point of reference if you see what I mean.

I'm sure if you give him your address Sam would send you one of his new Atom reels to try out for a week or two...you just pay the postage and your cookin' on gas ;) :D.

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes I sort of know what your getting at but having never used a true pin I dont have a point of reference if you see what I mean.

Philip you need to experience what people are saying there is quite a bit of difference when you use them.
Also If you Wallis cast you will find a true pin is a lot easer to cast with. It tends to speed up faster when you pull the line at the start of the cast and naturally slow down towards the end of the cast . In contrast a bearing reels starts up much slower, not reaches full speed straight away and has more of a tendency to overrun. It does not naturally slow down with the progression of the cast in the same way

Philip

Reaction score
Also If you Wallis cast you will find a true pin is a lot easer to cast with. It tends to speed up faster when you pull the line at the start of the cast and naturally slow down towards the end of the cast

Yep makes sense and given the trouble I have mastering it on bearing pin every little aid would help !

Philip

Reaction score
I'm sure if you give him your address Sam would send you one of his new Atom reels to try out for a week or two...you just pay the postage and your cookin' on gas ;) :D.

You think if I sent him back one of those black zero jobbies in return he would notice ? ;):D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You think if I sent him back one of those black zero jobbies in return he would notice ? ;):D

Errrm:wh......yeah, i'm pretty sure he would LOL.

I reckon you'd have more chance of winning the lottery than getting one of those reels out of his mitts, he'll be polishing them now ;) :D.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Errrm:wh......yeah, i'm pretty sure he would LOL.

I reckon you'd have more chance of winning the lottery than getting one of those reels out of his mitts, he'll be polishing them now ;) :D.

Close, but no cigar. One of them is on the arm of my armchair gently rotating.:eek:;):D

trotter2

Reaction score
I have a better idea Tig.

Sam if you pass me one over I am willing to run one in for you free of charge.
As you know I am just down the road can pick it up tonight on the way back from work,(save the postage)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam if you pass me one over I am willing to run one in for you free of charge.
As you know I am just down the road can pick it up tonight on the way back from work,(save the postage)

I didn't know that, but thanks for the offer. You are welcome to a try them sometime, but, unless I decide to sell, you'll have to wait until I die before I willingly give them up.;)

thecrow

Reaction score
There are so many contradictions in this thread :confused: isn't the true answer to the threads original question that its whatever suits the individual angler? there is no one size suits everyone, different anglers want different things from a reel and no matter what anyone says some of the stuff talked about regarding centrepins is just a load of

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are so many contradictions in this thread :confused: isn't the true answer to the threads original question that its whatever suits the individual angler? there is no one size suits everyone, different anglers want different things from a reel

I said as much on the first page. There is no de facto best pin. One size does not fit all.

no matter what anyone says some of the stuff talked about regarding centrepins is just a load of

Not that many years ago, I'd have felt exactly the same way. A lot of water under the float later, combined with experience with several different types of pin, I know better. However, as I conceded earlier, talking about the small but significant differences between pins makes you sound like an elitist idiot that's disappearing up their own backside. It's much the same with a CAMRA member, a hi-fi nut, or a wine buff. If you only have a passing interest, you won't care and won't believe, regardless of what anyone says.

thecrow

Reaction score
While conceding that there might be differences that some anglers might notice I suspect that there are plenty that don't notice that join in with those anglers in order to feel superior to none centrepin users.

You are right about some seeming to have their heads secreted in difficult places and its this that annoys me as it spoils what the genuine "I use a pin because I enjoy it" anglers say.

I don't really see that a bait that is trotted down a swim that slows/speeds up a tiny amount will stop a fish that is competing with others from taking the bait, if they want it they just haven't the time to inspect it.

The only trotting I have done has been with a fixed spool reel, it didn't seem that difficult and I caught plenty of fish including chub of around 4lbs I might have caught more if I was better at it but really is it that difficult?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't really see that a bait that is trotted down a swim that slows/speeds up a tiny amount will stop a fish that is competing with others from taking the bait, if they want it they just haven't the time to inspect it.

The only trotting I have done has been with a fixed spool reel, it didn't seem that difficult and I caught plenty of fish including chub of around 4lbs I might have caught more if I was better at it but really is it that difficult?

It's not about the bait being taken in the first place, it's about getting the bait to a certain point and retaining enough control to be able to hit the resulting bite. This is only exacerbated when trotting at distance or in turbulent and shifting water. I find that I need to do minimal mending of the line with a centrepin than I would with a fixed spool reel. To a less dramatic extent, the same is true of a true pin over a bearing reel.

If you genuinely believe that it makes no difference, then there's little point in using a pin over a fixed spool reel. You are just making life unnecessarily difficult for yourself. Judging by the relative scarcity of centrepin users, many folks undoubtedly do feel that way. For my part, I value the close float control that a centrepin can offer. If a minor difference between pins can offer even closer control, all the better for me.

I managed perfectly well for years using closed face and fixed spool reels. However, I'm quite content that centrepins have contributed to me being able to hit extra fish. It's a bonus that I also happen to enjoy using them. I doubt that anyone is denying that fish can be caught using a fixed spool reel, or any old pin, but that's quite different to suggesting that there's no difference between them.

It's the same with rods. You can catch fish on any old rod. A broom handle will do it if it's long enough. However, if you've a mind, you can catch even more with a better rod, or one that's more suitable for the job in hand. In exactly the same way, some folks will deny that there can be any differences between rods.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
There are so many contradictions in this thread :confused: isn't the true answer to the threads original question that its whatever suits the individual angler? there is no one size suits everyone, different anglers want different things from a reel and no matter what anyone says some of the stuff talked about regarding centrepins is just a load of

Of course that's quite right, however I was interested in what makes a good Pin so therefore one would expect a lot of different comments, to which you could formulate a purchase decision on. I would argue that the difference between using a Pin and a FS reel, is that you can also count aesthetics in your decisio. I also think that could end up being style over substance though. Emphasis on could.

I do love the Aerial spoked reels, but like the simple design of the Speedia, which one is better until I've tried one, or both I wouldn't know. Some of the reels I've been perusing are works of engineering art. I can't say I have ever got the hots for a fixed spool reel.

thecrow

Reaction score
If you genuinely believe that it makes no difference, then there's little point in using a pin over a fixed spool reel. You are just making life unnecessarily difficult for yourself. Judging by the relative scarcity of centrepin users, many folks undoubtedly do feel that way. For my part, I value the close float control that a centrepin can offer. If a minor difference between pins can offer even closer control, all the better for me.

I do believe that there is a difference even if the difference is in the enjoyment of using a centrepin (not saying that's the only difference though) my use of a centrepin has been limited to still water and while that could be a disadvantage I don't mind as I enjoy using it.

The trotting I have done with a FS was with a waggler maybe a stick will see me finding the difference between the two methods and the equipment.

Reaction score
Graham,fishing a waggler on the pin is difficult at best,but using an Avon,balsa or chubber,that's a different ball game entirely I'm afraid.

thecrow

Reaction score
Graham,fishing a waggler on the pin is difficult at best

Wouldn't try it imo a FS would be a much better tool for doing that, as I said I had no problem doing that before.

Imo there is no "black art" involved in fishing with a centrepin as some users would have others believe other than slight adjustments to the tackle that might be needed, most of which are no different to adjustments that are made when fishing a still water.

Reaction score
Casting is the black art,a day spent untangling would lay testament to that.:)
You can't hold a line of trot with a fixed spool like you can with a pin.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Casting is the black art,a day spent untangling would lay testament to that.
You can't hold a line of trot with a fixed spool like you can with a pin.

Do you need to cast if using a stick float? Can it not be just swung out?

I am interested in why a line of trot cant be held with a FS as well as a CP, surely rod length has a lot to do with that?