Buggeration

davebhoy

Reaction score
I don't know if any super-markets are applying restrictions yet but they should; surely they are not going to make the same mistake as last time.

Unfortunately they have to make back the big costs associated with coronavirus.. None of them made bigger profits last time round so they've got to keep an eye on that bottom line.

rich66

Reaction score
I’m keeping everything crossed that when it’s finalised on Wednesday we can still fish. I can work my backside off as I’m essential retail, daily sworn at or threatened by people who don’t want to wear a mask etc. I’ve seen 1000’s of people a week pass by me well within the 2m ideal since this fiasco started . But I might not be able to go sit on my own in the middle of a field ? Thank fully so far it’s looking like we can.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Basically I think it is we will do what we want, bemoan anyone else enjoying what they want, going to the beach going to raves etc., scum, idiots, morons, deserve to die etc. except when it comes to our own enjoyment; then we will bend twist connive any rules to make as many excuses as we can. I was explaining some of this to my non fishing mate yesterday, and he said well, you can't do much fishing when your dead, it takes a non angler to see it as it is.

davebhoy

Reaction score
Basically I think it is we will do what we want, bemoan anyone else enjoying what they want, going to the beach going to raves etc., scum, idiots, morons, deserve to die etc. except when it comes to our own enjoyment; then we will bend twist connive any rules to make as many excuses as we can. I was explaining some of this to my non fishing mate yesterday, and he said well, you can't do much fishing when your dead, it takes a non angler to see it as it is.

I think there's a lot more people who are indulging in a bit of cognitive dissonance than last time, not just anglers. The government must have taken that into consideration when they imposed such a restrictive set of measures.

I think people have got used to living with the virus now, we're more familiar with it and the potential horrors have been pushed to the back of our minds. Its human nature, we can only live with that sort of fear for so long before we start to rationalise things, especially when the danger isnt staring us in the face.

mikench

Reaction score
Very true Mark . However you can hardly put anglers sitting in the cold on a deserted and well off the beaten track lake, in the same category as scum , idiots, those going to illegal raves etc. We have more chance of getting hypothermia than Covid. Raves are illegal and always have been and to hold them in a lockdown is deserving of terrible retribution on organisers and attendees alike. If some of the attendant health and safety fears came to pass it would help us all.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I think the problem is that thoughtful considerate anglers who would happily fish in isolation, like the community on here only make up a percentage of the fisherman in the country. We've already seen a big increase in the number of people fishing in the last lockdown, even taking the weather into consideration we'd probably be looking at more new anglers compared to a normal November. A nice mild week next week probably wouldn't help.

The government have to make a ruling that makes allowances for the behaviour of the less community-minded among us.

If we are able to carry on I wont be judging anyone who does in a responsible way, just like I think hard before judging people who don't bide by the restrictions already in place. Making mistakes is part of growing up, its quite a big ask to expect young people to behave like responsible adults for what's 8 months already, and I'm not that old that I cant remember how important going to clubs and raves before and after they were made illegal was to me. I'm not sure I wouldn't have been tempted after not going out for 6 months. I think I might have found a way of justifying it to myself in the way that we all seem able to.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I think the problem is that thoughtful considerate anglers who would happily fish in isolation, like the community on here only make up a percentage of the fisherman in the country. We've already seen a big increase in the number of people fishing in the last lockdown, even taking the weather into consideration we'd probably be looking at more new anglers compared to a normal November. A nice mild week next week probably wouldn't help.

The government have to make a ruling that makes allowances for the behaviour of the less community-minded among us.

Perhaps they can stipulate that fishing (and other sports like golf) can only be allowed on private club and commercial fisheries (and golf courses etc.) that can strictly enforce the distancing and family pod rules, and any venues that have public access strictly out of bounds for anglers? so fishing on canals and unfenced off rivers and lakes would be illegal (unless they were in Outer Mongolia)? :)

Otherwise we will all be just sitting indoors looking at our rods and getting fed up. :unsure: :(

Keith

Last edited:

davebhoy

Reaction score
Perhaps they can stipulate that fishing (and other sports like golf) can only be allowed on private club and commercial fisheries (and golf courses etc.) that can strictly enforce the distancing and family pod rules, and any venues that have public access strictly out of bounds? so fishing on canals and unfenced off rivers and lakes would be illegal unless they were in Outer Mongolia? :)

Otherwise we will all be just sitting indoors looking at our rods and getting fed up. :unsure: :(

Keith

That sounds sensible, which means it’s probably beyond this government.

Unfortunately their behavior last time round makes it far less likely we’ll stick to common-sense policies and we’ll be facing stricter restrictions than necessary

mikench

Reaction score
Perhaps they can stipulate that fishing (and other sports like golf) can only be allowed on private club and commercial fisheries (and golf courses etc.) that can strictly enforce the distancing and family pod rules, and any venues that have public access strictly out of bounds to anglers? so fishing on canals and unfenced off rivers and lakes would be illegal (unless they were in Outer Mongolia)? :)

Keith
Throw in no spodding, one rod only and no camo and that could be very welcome. ;) :cool:

Stay home( except sensible anglers) stay safe and save Santa.?

rayner

Reaction score
Guidelines have been set, we all know how to behave even though as in all things we have a few loons. So long as guidelines are adhered to what more can we do.
I see that golf is to be banned which seems strange, golf is hardly a hand holding sport, it's virtually the same distancing wise as angling.

Kevlar78

Reaction score
Just read this from 20 mins ago, so still unsure ?

Screenshot_20201103-121838.png

mikench

Reaction score
Guidelines have been set, we all know how to behave even though as in all things we have a few loons. So long as guidelines are adhered to what more can we do.
I see that golf is to be banned which seems strange, golf is hardly a hand holding sport, it's virtually the same distancing wise as angling.
Gary if you played golf with me you wouldn't see much of me from the first to the 18th green. :rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
I know very little about golf but suspect that there is a worry about the clubhouse on courses rather than the open links?
Same for commercial fisheries with a cafe and shop?

davebhoy

Reaction score
I know very little about golf but suspect that there is a worry about the clubhouse on courses rather than the open links?

During the last lockdown the clubhouses were shut, only toilets were open.

Pikerwoods

Reaction score
But most golfers have their clubs and shoes in lockers in clubhouses and have being a member of a club main reason most play gold is to get away from the wife and get drunk...lol

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
During the last lockdown our clubhouse was closed so you had to change in your car, but the toilets remained open.

Golf is already somewhat a socially distanced sport. especially of you play against one of those blooming left handers ;)

(that is tongue in cheek for any snowflakes out there)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I see the AT have gone from “definitely can” to “maybe we can”. TBH if I have to forego fishing for 4 weeks I am not that bothered. In 4 weeks all the soddin leaves should have gone. I hate fishing this time of year...give me proper winter any day.

I bet everyone and his Uncle will be out tomorrow though.

mikench

Reaction score
Fishing is allowed either alone, with family or with one other. Matches are not and waters with shops and cafes are not.

Aknib

Reaction score

When we re-opened following the last lockdown it was subject to strict guidelines which Golf England, the kind of Angling Trust of the golfing world, had agreed with the government.

In our case it involved measures such as implementing a pedestrian one way system around the entrance and exit to the premises, only one person per buggy, removing rakes from bunkers so that they can't be touched by various different people, turning the holes cups around so that balls can't drop into the holes when putting and banning flags from being taken out amongst various other things such as hand sanitisers etc.

As always it wasn't the measures that were the issue, it was getting people to observe and adhere to them and ironically it would appear that the older players, and the ones which are more susceptible to a bad outcome should they contract the virus, are by far the worse for not complying.

You would give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they had momentarily forgotten but when you see two people tee off, one on foot and one in a buggy, only to then see the one in the buggy then pick his mate up halfway down the fairway when he thinks he's gotten away with it, you have to wonder to yourself just as you do when you see the customary handshake still going on after putting out on the 18th and players picking up and throwing other players balls back to them along with things such as mass gatherings in the car park.

To be fair we do enforce it but it's seldom met with a pleasant response... Ignorance is bliss, as they say!