Buggeration

Krang

Reaction score
Basically I think it is we will do what we want, bemoan anyone else enjoying what they want, going to the beach going to raves etc., scum, idiots, morons, deserve to die etc. except when it comes to our own enjoyment; then we will bend twist connive any rules to make as many excuses as we can. I was explaining some of this to my non fishing mate yesterday, and he said well, you can't do much fishing when your dead, it takes a non angler to see it as it is.
This is about the curtailing of freedoms though. It's a serious thing and therefore doing it in a democratic society should require a really strong justification. There is a strong justification to ban raves and clubs. It obviously places many people in close proximity and creates an environment where the virus can spread rapidly. But that isn't the case for other activities, such as angling, cycling and many other things that people enjoy.

Cycling is still allowed in spite of the fact that they often do it in groups. So they cycle within the social distancing rules. There's no reason angling can't continue on the same basis. There's certainly no good reason to ban one and not the other.

I think there's something a little bit dictatorial about the way in which the government specifically allowed an activity that it so often promotes, and remained vague on so many other activities, saying things like "We're not going to give a definitive list of permitted activities. People should use common sense". The London elite seem to be deciding which freedoms to curtail based on their personal tastes and whims.

1604444090836.png

Last edited:

Reaction score
Having heard the news last night i'm less than hopeful,also watching the AT announcement on f/book it is far from assured,looks like an extra month to the close season guys...

mikench

Reaction score
It was a BBC journalist listing what was considered not allowed and what was . Fishing was considered to be in the latter. Time will tell for certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
So in the initial announcement it was stated that you could have unlimited outdoor exercise, ie none of this one 30 minute bike ride business like in March, as long as you weren’t mixing house holds. There was even the conclusion you could walk the dog with your neighbour as long as you didn’t break the household issue and it was all outside.

Then somehow between now and here we’re confused if we’re allowed to go fishing... I can’t help feel that we’ve allowed the pot stirrers to sow confusion in the simple and whip everyone up. It seems some people want a personal letter to Dave of 21 North Street, Nottingham saying he can go fishing.

mikench

Reaction score
As per usual what was finally announced in the thrice delayed press conference has been rowed back from and changed with more changes no doubt to come. Gove said something about golf and tennis being allowed( and why not) and was slapped down. Pubs are going to be allowed to sell beer to take away . I still consider fishing will be allowed( and again why not) but dithering and obfuscation are at the core of this governments failings so anything remains possible.

Reaction score
Look at the AT statement on f/book,it leaves you none the wiser,only the intent of the trust for angling to continue and possible agreement from some ministers,which like Gove's statement counts for little,still no statement from my clubs,who are still awaiting clarification apparently,four of us were fishing yesterday,we all feared our fishing would be lost and be under no illusion here,this lockdown will be hard to stop once started,no matter what Boris says,because if figures dont drop lockdown will have to continue surely...
Hope it was ok to post this,as it seems permission needs to be asked...

sam vimes

Reaction score
For those interested - the latest from the Angling Trust.

As far as I can see, it's still just their own interpretation of the rules. At this point in time, I'll not be relying on AT guidance in the face of a copper intent on fining me.

I'll probably try to get some bait today. Whether it actually gets used before December is another matter entirely.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Quite. It's still "we believe" which I don't see any more valid than what I believe and club waters aren't publicly accessible spaces. The giveaway is the signs that say No Public Access.

rayner

Reaction score
Two fisheries close to home are next door to each other the path/road to both fisheries is a public right of way and used as such by anyone.
I've messaged one fishery to see if we are allowed to fish after the commencement of the lockdown.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Commercial fisheries are publicly accessible. The vague part is the closure of " Leisure and sports facilities such as " which includes golf and some others. I don't see how golf is significantly different to fishing in terms infection risk.

rob48

Reaction score
Quite. It's still "we believe" which I don't see any more valid than what I believe and club waters aren't publicly accessible spaces. The giveaway is the signs that say No Public Access.
Some of the river stretches of club waters I'm a member of have public footpaths along the bank.

rayner

Reaction score
League matches to be deferred until the lockdown eases.
Tackle shop will click and collect goods will be passed through the window the cafe is take away only no sitting in.

mikench

Reaction score
Many of my waters are accessible to the public, to the adjoining landowner or his livestock through rights of way, bridle paths , over stiles, through open / unlocked gates etc. Canals are served by towpaths used by walkers, cyclists and runners. Common sense should prevail. I’m going and if I’m stopped by a copper and fined I’ll give my Hardy rods to charity. The coppers couldnt stop an illegal rave in a field with noise levels resembling Glastonbury so have no chance finding me let alone engaging and winning an esoteric argument about interpretation of the lockdown regulations if they are passed unaltered and without clarification. If the last5 years are anything to go by for early winter , I won’t see a living thing and that goes for the fish too.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Golf courses don't all fall into the same category.

For instance many clubs are built on Private land (with no public access) whereas others are actually built on Public land where, (although not desirable or indeed safe) the public can wander though at any time.

It follows that while control can be exercised on the private clubs this might not be possible on public land.