Canal fishing

mikench

Reaction score
I fully intend trying my local canals. However I cannot sit on the brink of any water with my feet dangling over. I suspect and I’m reluctant to even mention a seat box, but would one be easier and safer sitting on and getting up from a seat box. To paraphrase Brian Johnston, I could get my leg over a box but not a chair. I have a small and light Korum chair without arms which I plan to use .

No pole Mark just a small and neat box which will hold a reel, basic stuff and floats and feeders etc. I stress I could and do not sit on a peg without at least a meter between me and the water.

A second hand box might be best as I may not use it often if at all.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mike have a look at the Browning or Nufish, they are a box on H frame , very light ideal for canals, around £100, try angling direct, the one at Hindley had one in before lockdown.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or you could get yourself an old Shakespeare box?

Keith M

Reaction score
I much prefer sitting higher up if I’m float fishing; it gives me a lot more control, so a box is a lot better for me (or a metal framed back pack which I can sit on and easily carry with two shoulder straps).

If I’m not fishing a float then I prefer a reclining seat but even then If I’m expecting a lot of bites I prefer one that I can get up fairly easily from; so chair height is quite important to me.

Or you could get yourself an old Shakespeare box?

I still have a Shakespeare ‘top box’ with adjustable legs and a cushioned seat which I sometimes still use on canals on its own (without needing the Shakespeare main box) and if you can find one of those on eBay then that would probably be fine for you.

Keith

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
Not sure if they are still commonly available Mike but there used to be slimmed down seat boxes which went under the name of canal stools, I know Kev is a fan of them and for good reason I reckon as they're very versatile and it might be worth having a chat with him.

I think that's what I'd go for ?

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas . I’ll have a look. John(S63) if you’re looking in, what was the small trolly you bought and is it any good?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The trolley is good Mike, I just need to remember the make!

Ill be back.

rayner

Reaction score
Nu Fish have a chair with space under the seat for bits of tackle, not a big space but enough for floats and stuff. £150 or so. A good solid chair with a nice seat.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I fully intend trying my local canals. However I cannot sit on the brink of any water with my feet dangling over. I suspect and I’m reluctant to even mention a seat box, but would one be easier and safer sitting on and getting up from a seat box. To paraphrase Brian Johnston, I could get my leg over a box but not a chair. I have a small and light Korum chair without arms which I plan to use .

No pole Mark just a small and neat box which will hold a reel, basic stuff and floats and feeders etc. I stress I could and do not sit on a peg without at least a meter between me and the water.

A second hand box might be best as I may not use it often if at all.
Why not try a Shakespeare beta box it’s a slightly smaller version of a normal Shakespeare plastic box...... they still have side trays and if you get one second hand you can have octoplus feet in it.
You will get a lot of kit in one bait flask reels small tackle box ..... did I mention flask !

Paste paul

Reaction score
Just had a quick look on eBay and second hand Shakespeare boxes range from £10 to £50 roughly...

peterjg

Reaction score
Mikench, I am a bit puzzled? I fish canals quite a lot, why do you need a box just use an ordinary adjustable seat.

Keith M

Reaction score
The Shakespeare ‘Top Box’ was normally bought out for fixing onto the top of the normal Shakespeare boxes to give you extra storage; but you could also buy legs for it so you could use it on its own without having to have the bottom box which is what I did.

You could also buy the seat cushion separately plus a side tray and various other standard add ons made by other companies such as Pole rests, rod rests, bait trays, feeder arms and a brolly clamp etc. and I bought all of these little extras.
And I think it weighs a bit less than one of my folding chairs too; even though I carried it on my trolley with all my other stuff.

It was far cheaper than the other match boxes that were around at the time too when I bought it.

Mikench, I am a bit puzzled? I fish canals quite a lot, why do you need a box just use an ordinary adjustable seat.

For most people if you are using a float rod or a Pole it’s usually far better and easier to sit up a little higher with your feet and back straight than you can on the average reclining seat, but if you mean a simple ‘Canal stool’ or ‘Top Box’ then I agree the bottom box is not really necessary other than for keeping your reels and flasks etc. in.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I take too much Tackle but with my Korum chair and it's barrow kit I can manage easily. I have a korum( I should have shares) ruckbag, assorted quivers and a very lightweight chair which clips to the latter. I may just take this combo. At least the chair has no arms. Since falling in off a very slippery wooden platform I have steered clear of sitting perched on the edge and have an aversion to doing so. I have to date given canals a miss for that reason. I'll give what I have a go first but look out for a small seatbox like the Nufish, Octbox compact or the Brownings black magic.

wetthrough

Reaction score
It's not like trying to pick your way round a chair on a regular peg Mike. You've lots of room at the side.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or just go lure fishing and have a wander, no sitting required.?

mikench

Reaction score
I will try it. John do you like the trolley you bought and is it compact when collapsed? Light lure fishing might be the way to go for a change.