Canal fishing

nottskev

Reaction score
You can feeder fish canals - if you must.
It's a good method on wides for bream in rough weather, and legering is an option for big fish on feature pegs.
But for general canal fishing, its a long way behind floatfishing, and likely to mean unnecessary disturbance, limited presentation, far fewer bites and more missed bites.
You'll get used to the surface drift and tow, and find how best to set up and control a float to combat drift etc ..... backshotting, sinking the line, fishing overdepth, trailing small shot on the bottom etc

That looked like a lovely section in your pic
If only someone would invent a method that allows you to hold a tiny float steady over to the edge of the trees...... :)

mikench

Reaction score
Kev, float fishing is my preferred method and I wouldn't have mentioned the feeder but for Gordon; besotted he is. ;) :rolleyes:

Seriously though it was a lovely stretch of canal and I wish I had taken a few more pics. One we could try if you came over. Have a look at WAA site , waters, canals, Bridgewater. Oughtrington to Dunham for a lovely pic from the bridge.

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev, float fishing is my preferred method and I wouldn't have mentioned the feeder but for Gordon; besotted he is. ;) :rolleyes:

Seriously though it was a lovely stretch of canal and I wish I had taken a few more pics. One we could try if you came over. Have a look at WAA site , waters, canals, Bridgewater. Oughtrington to Dunham for a lovely pic from the bridge.

Cheers, Mike, that pic did whet my appetite. When I lived in Salford my local stretch of the Bridgie was in Trafford Park - right behind the giant Kellogs factory. Not so scenic, but full of fish, with an aroma all of its own. With its stone-built banks, good depth right to the sides, and lack of locks, fishing was a lot easier than on shallow, silty canals with locks all over, like the Shroppy.

The drift and tow problems are the main obstacles to floatfishing - I'm sure you must have looked across at the trees and seen why poles are the commonest canal method - but there are a lot of little tricks that will stop your float pulling off-line and moving in ways that put fish off.

Too many people on the water or the towpath can spoil it, and bad weather, especially strong wind, sometimes defeats the light tactics they invite. But with a bit of peace and ok weather, canals can be great fishing. I'll happily join you on one sometime.

mikench

Reaction score
Without delving too deeply into physics , I was very surprised at how easy it was pulling a trolly with my gear rather than pushing my normal gear using a chair barrow kit. To push involves one component of force that adds to the weight of the body and hence there is more friction. When you pull the vertical component of force isagainst the weight of body and thus less overall friction. It really is a lot easier to pull rather than push.

If I replace my chair I shall pick a trolly.

nottskev

Reaction score
Without delving too deeply into physics , I was very surprised at how easy it was pulling a trolly with my gear rather than pushing my normal gear using a chair barrow kit. To push involves one component of force that adds to the weight of the body and hence there is more friction. When you pull the vertical component of force isagainst the weight of body and thus less overall friction. It really is a lot easier to pull rather than push.

If I replace my chair I shall pick a trolly.

Interesting. It makes sense that when you pull, part of the force is pulling up, whereas when you push, you push down. So pulling can be better for getting your wheels over bumpy ground.

Which is better generally though? When you push you can use both arms, brace yourself squarely and lean into it. Pulling puts it all on one arm/ shoulder, and twists you if the wheels stick on something, and can make steering around stuff harder.

If pulling is better, why wheelbarrows rather than sleds? Just so they don't run you over if you lose control?

I've got a couple of trolleys, and boxes that are pushed barrow-style, and each can seem better for different occasions. Any physicists/engineers out there?

mikench

Reaction score
My comments were made without any scientific research but just from my short experience. I googled the point and the physics confirmed my findings were scientifically correct and not a misperception. I have pulled a sled on snow and ice and a trolly cart thing. Stability over rough terrain and down steps etc is a factor but if the trolly has a reasonably wide wheel base and pneumatic tyres then , with care, its a good alternative to a barrow.

My comment was prompted by a very discernible feeling that pulling was easier than pushing over say 250 yards. I use my barrow kit a lot and the canal trip involved using a trolly for the first time and appraising how I got on with a trolly for the first time. I was pleasantly and most noticeably surprised.

wetthrough

Reaction score
There's about 56lb on my trolley last time I weighed my stuff. Much of that is the rod holdall which puts a lot of the weight high up. When you're trailing the trolley behind and the handle is low, roughly half the weight is on your hands and half on the wheels. If I have to take it a long way my ankles start to complain, it's another 28lb they're not used to. If you look at a golf trolley which is designed for bags (I think you're expected to shoulder your rod bag with a trolley) the wheels are set further back which means most of the weight is on the wheels. There are probably pros and cons for both. Narrow track trolleys like mine (a Sensas) are unstable but I know of at least one place and possibly two where Mike would struggle with the slightly wider track. I couldn't use a barrow at Rixton Clay Pits because there are steps rising and falling, you have to turn round half way along a narrow 'bridge' which I don't think you could do with a barrow.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have had both trolley and barrow type.
The trolleys I had I converted them from "T" bar style handles to a "garden spade" type handle .I found this easier to pull. The last trolley I had had adjustable width for the wheels and adjustable length for seatbox,
I prefer my PI space shuttle ,due to custom fit for seatbox, lift it out of car and drop it on,no need for bungee straps, all the weight is over the wheels which are height adjustable, pull footplate out from box for better load area for carryall,net bag, other bags go in a trolley bag at handle end, holdall across the top length ways bungee strap over it,
Easy to push the way the weight is distributed, The shuttle is the 2 wheel version, I believe the 4 wheel version is good as well.

nottskev

Reaction score
My comments were made without any scientific research but just from my short experience. I googled the point and the physics confirmed my findings were scientifically correct and not a misperception.

My post agreed, and the first line of mine just put your google quote in plain English, so I didn't suggest any misperception.

But I did suggest it can be a swings and roundabouts, horses for courses business, so interested to see if anyone would like to add insights into what happens when, for instance:
You factor in the different stresses and strains on the human body, the different terrains - rough field v towpath, eg - the fact that you tend to get a load with a higher centre of gravity with a trolley as you stack your bag etc on top of the box in contrast to a longer, lower load on a barrow-typse set up.......

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I would say with a rough field neither trolley or barrow would be much good, on a rough track I would say the barrow would be better due to being more stable, pull a trolley behind you and one wheel hits a bump there is a chance of trolley tipping over.
Towpath I would say about equal unless you come to a really narrow part to go under a bridge, The towpath on Bridgewater canal is fine under bridges , towpath on Oxford canal on Shroppie canal can be a bit dubious.
Both trolley and barrow would require careful manouvering

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I would say the amount of tackle you take would also play a part in what you use.
In a lot of cases a trolley would be out of the question for someone who takes a ruck of tackle to say a match, You have net bag that will accommodate minimum of 2 keepnets, a carryall for reels,feeder boxes , flask cooler bag for butties, and other stuff. Bait bag or cooler bag for maggots , pole roller bags and roost bag, then holdall and possibly 2 ready made rod holdalls, my holdall is a hardcase style, its heavy before 5 tubes for pole plus an umbrella goes into it.same for ready rod holdalls,

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I wasn’t disagreeing with you or seeking to contradict you in any way Kev and I agree with every word you said. I noted your own findings and accept them completely. It was just that I found the contrast rather remarkable and I didn’t think I would. In fact i thought I would hate pulling a trolly. I only amplified my comments by way of further explanation and not to oppose or confront your comments. I fully accept its horses for courses and I will struggle with both. I really thought I would have a problem with a trolly and was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t. If I use it again, I will try and go lighter if the terrain dictates and maybe sling the quiver over a shoulder or put it surreptitiously on Gordon’s.;)

I hadn’t a clue about the physics and it was one of my least favourite subjects at school. One lives and learns.

mikench

Reaction score
I would say with a rough field neither trolley or barrow would be much good, on a rough track I would say the barrow would be better due to being more stable, pull a trolley behind you and one wheel hits a bump there is a chance of trolley tipping over.
Towpath I would say about equal unless you come to a really narrow part to go under a bridge, The towpath on Bridgewater canal is fine under bridges , towpath on Oxford canal on Shroppie canal can be a bit dubious.
Both trolley and barrow would require careful manouvering
So far Mark I have avoided such places and shall endeavour to continue to do so. Those venues I go to with a rough track are a short distance from the car so 2 or 3 trips on foot are fine.

nottskev

Reaction score
Mark - just reading how much stuff you take makes me feel on the brink of a hernia or a slipped disc. I agree you're better pulling than pushing over a rough surface. I used to cross a couple of fields to get at the Derwent ( when it held fish, dinosaurs roamed the earth etc) and it's possible to pull wheels out of dips and ruts when it would be impossible to push them over them. The problem then was that pulling by one handle, the trolley would be prone to turn over or turn your wrist.
No dispute for me, either, Mike - I'm just curious about all the in's and out's of different aids to tackle-shifting. I've tried all sorts, as a life-long back-sufferer, and I've observed the changing fashions in trollies, barrows, wheel kits etc.
Like you, if it's not too far to a peg I'll do a couple of trips rather than load up, mess about with bungees etc, unload and turn my peg into a scrapyard of wheels, handles, aluminium tubing....
It's probably a different ball game if you're fit and strong. I was dragging a boss platform trolley ( not lightweight) with seatbox, full bag stuffed with bait, groundbait, food, drink, net bags etc bungee'ed on along the bank with a mate. Each time we got to stiles etc, I had to break it all down to be able to get it over. He got impatient with that and at the next locked 5 bar gate picked the lot up, leaned over and placed it on the ground.

Reaction score
No,they are two handled beasts,I hated my trolley,it was awful over rough ground too,my platform however makes the tackle feel very lightly(compared to the reality,weighs a ton),I can walk a very long way with little effort,one issue can be the height of the handles for pushing and your own height in comparison...