Canal fishing

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Nu Fish have a chair with space under the seat for bits of tackle, not a big space but enough for floats and stuff. £150 or so. A good solid chair with a nice seat.
That's the one I mentioned similar to Browning one, I think Sensas has brought something similar out.
Maver did a Signature stool, could be carried in it's own bag.
You would have to try ebay or facebook market place etc to find one

mikench

Reaction score
Could well be Gary and I might give my whip a try. It’s never been used but is only a cheap one. I’ll try it first on the float and progress from there. I want to travel light so alternating between a whip and a light lure rod might work out. :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will try it. John do you like the trolley you bought and is it compact when collapsed? Light lure fishing might be the way to go for a change.

Yes I do like it, especially as I got it for nothing! I don’t use the side support rails, I’ll stick a photo up shortly when collapsed.

Keith M

Reaction score
Is there an ideal length of whip for canals?

It depends on how far the near shelf extends out from the bank really. On some stretches it may only extend to around 3 feet but in some places it can extend a lot further out.
For that reason I much prefer a whip of 5 to 7 mtrs with the two base sections ‘push in’ and the rest of the sections telescopic; that way I can add or take away sections to suit.

I would also invest in a whip with a fine flicktip; or one with both a fine flicktip and an elasticated tip.

Whips are not really that expensive anyway and if you are going to use one fairly regularly then you might as well get a fairly good one that will actually bend and absorb the fight of a decent sized fish if you hook one and which you can add and remove sections whenever it’s needed.

Top: A decent tip of a whip which bends and can absorb the fight of a decent size fish*
Bottom: a cheap whip tip that doesn’t bend at all and unless elasticated won’t absorb anything.

* A decent sized fish for a Canal Whip of around 5mtrs or more can be between around 2 to 3lb-ish although occasionally you can handle a slightly bigger fish and I’ve landed the very occasional carp up to just under 5lb on miine; but this is not normal and fish of only a few ounces and less which you can swing in ‘to hand’ is a lot more normal.

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Where I fish on the Bridgewater the bottom of the near drop off is only about 6' from the bank.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
shortwhip.jpg

I have whips from 1½m up to 10m in 1m increments.

In Europe and Scandinavia line to hand whip fishing is far more popular than it is or ever was in the uk and can be a deadly method on its day.
I wrote an article here on FM some time ago on short whip fishing so maybe search it pit if really interested.

All of my shorter whips are Milo Alborella and reckon you won't find better (first 6 from the left in the piccie)

Paste paul

Reaction score
View attachment 9413

I have whips from 1½m up to 10m in 1m increments.

In Europe and Scandinavia line to hand whip fishing is far more popular than it is or ever was in the uk and can be a deadly method on its day.
I wrote an article here on FM some time ago on short whip fishing so maybe search it pit if really interested.

All of my shorter whips are Milo Alborella and reckon you won't find better (first 6 from the left in the piccie)
Wow you have a right selection.......
Do you take them all when you think you will need a whip ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow you have a right selection.......
Do you take them all when you think you will need a whip ?

Paul, not usually.

I know my local venues well and only take the lengths I expect to use on the day, but I usually have 4 or 5 with me in my holdall.

Mike, most whips are telescopic and it is an easy thing to just leave off the bottom section (or two) to make it shorter. You just need to shorten your rigs in line with the length you decide to use.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I have a 5m whip but its telescopic so can only be used at 5m I presume.
No you can slide the thinner sections through the but section this will remove the butt section and you can repeat this with the next section and so forth

Keith M

Reaction score
If your are only likely to be catching fish that you can swing in ‘to hand’; which is usually the case; then being able to ship or unship a base section is not really that essential, but if you are likely to hook the odd lunker which you will need your landing net for then a Whip which has an additional push-in base section which you can add; can be a real advantage sometimes unless you have long gorilla type arms of course :giggle: and it can also be a great boon if you need to play out an unexpected lunker too.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have never tried to do this; indeed the whip has been untouched apart from the fitting of a stonfo tip. I'll have a look.

If i hooked a decent fish this option has disappeared i assume.