Float making.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: Oval Sight Bob Wagglers In Pearlescent Metallic Blue.

A set of 5 Oval Sight Bob Wagglers finished in pearlescent, metallic blue coupled with black , purple & metallic gold whipping.

Click the blog for more pics.

17bmop.jpg

10gia8x.jpg

14ay1px.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
B

binka

Very nice indeed and excellent craftsmanship as always.

There's something dark and sinister about a black tipped perch bobber, very much the Black Knight of the float box and an almost demonic character that's not to be messed with.

A lovely float in its own right, I fully intended to make a set with black tips but after completing the first I couldn't bring myself to make any more on the grounds that it just looked so wrong.

Mind you I may well have changed my mind if it had looked as good as yours ;)

George387

Reaction score
I dont stop by as often as I used to but nice to see a few friendly faces still carrying on the great tradition of float making and a few still challenging the makers!

One thing I learned a longtime ago was if the float you build does the job & catches the fish your after it doesn't matter how it looks, as long as it does the job it was designed for.

I haven't trotted a float in over a year & haven't even thought about float making for 7 months or more now but with a friend in Montana USA birthday coming soon I took the lathe out blew off the layer of dust which had formed on it and knocked a couple out along with a few furled leaders for fly fishing I made for him too.

floats.jpg

keep up the good work everyone & keep spreading the float making hints, its the only way the art will continue to the next generation.
Regards George

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think your gonn'a make your friend in Montana a happy man George...nice floats as usual George :).

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Absolute quality George and good to see you posting, if only once in a while...

Stiil the man to follow, IMHO

George387

Reaction score
Absolute quality George and good to see you posting, if only once in a while...

Stiil the man to follow, IMHO

Thanks Tee Cee, my heart isn't in posting much on forums too many keyboard warrior's who think they know better, still each to their own I prefer to spend my time doing better things than that.
Im still fishing just not with a float too often, my exploits are on the flee & float... all the best mate The Flee & Float

B

binka

I still can't help but admire this float in particular.

If I'm not being too nosey do you mind me asking what paint you use for the orange?

It looks like a flouro to me and although I got there in the end when I've used it (acrylic) it's been an absolute nightmare to get to cover properly, taking in excess of a dozen coats...

14n3cbr.jpg

I'm going to be making a few Avons and Thames Roach Floats soon and I wanted to use a flouro orange but I think I will give it a wide berth in favour of another colour if I have to do that many coats :(

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use to do a lot of air brushing (model cars), fluoro paint was always a p in the a whether it was acrylic or cellulose, difficult to apply and the finish never as good or robust as regular solid colour.

When using Fluoro do you use a good undercoat of Matt White Steve?

B

binka

When using Fluoro do you use a good undercoat of Matt White Steve?

Yes mate even when it's a non-flouro tip or body colour I always white undercoat, not only to keep the colour bright but undercoat has different properties which helps the top coats stick better.

At least I think they do...

Interesting what you were saying about flouro when you were air brushing model cars. I was googling flouro paints last night and without realising that it was a spray tin I ended up reading reviews on Halfords flouro orange hazard paint and many said the same thing about the amount of coats it took but were happy with the end result.

I'm thinking it must just be a flouro thing in general although I did find something which looked promising but I forgot to bookmark it and will have to start looking all over again :eek:mg:

B

binka

At long last I've just finished the 'Dusk Avons'.

Made for someone on FM who's no stranger to helping others and who wanted an Avon type float with an interchangeable tip that would take a small Starlite towards dusk and boy did the removable reed tips prove ruddy fiddly!

Nevertheless we are finished...

binka-albums-misc-picture4799-sl2.jpg

binka-albums-misc-picture4800-sl3.jpg

binka-albums-misc-picture4801-sl7.jpg

binka-albums-misc-picture4802-sl4.jpg

I made myself some zander bobbers along the same lines last year, the principle is sound with the float stem running all the way through the top and accounting for half of the innards of the tubular neck so that a float rubber can be slid down to a rigid point without affecting where the tip is pushed into the tube, the tube itself being the Starlite tube which came with the lights and just counter sunk to the right depth.

No fancy whipping on the stems other than the purposeful bit where the stem joins the body to ensure a nice tight fit and in lieu of spiral stem whipping, which just hinders the sliding up of the middle float rubber, I spent a bit more time hand tapering the stems and tipping the points with acrylic before varnishing to make them that bit more robust.

A couple of firsts too in that I've used the excellent Morrells Lacquer and the Glotec flouro orange which is very good, even if the light wasn't when I took the pictures (!).

I'm pleased to have made something a bit different but also glad they're finished :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They sound great Steve but I can't see the pic's bud.

B

binka

They sound great Steve but I can't see the pic's bud.

Cheers Ian.

Sorry about that mate, you're not the only one to have that problem when I upload via an FM album.

Here's a couple via Picturetrail...

413545854.jpg

413545856.jpg

413545857.jpg