Float making.

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes its a great float material for close range sensitive fishing. I use a length of quill cut off and a cocktail stick inserted for the antenna.
Makes a very nice replacement for a glow tip or Stillwater blue.
Very easy to make and shows the slightest bites on the drop.
Cheap as chips ?

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: HANDCRAFTED FLOATS AND FISHING EQUIPMENT - 2017

Throw back Thursday. . . . . . .

One of my old Inserted Wagglers has had a referb.
I never use this one much so I thought I would give it a new lease of life.

I have removed the swivel eye and replaced it wth a whipped brass version and added a few purple and gold threads.

The feather is the original one from 2014.

I have taken a fancy to it now . . . lol

Job done.

ip3yhj.jpg

1zleo09.jpg

2guidmq.jpg

robtherake

Reaction score
PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: HANDCRAFTED FLOATS AND FISHING EQUIPMENT - 2017

Throw back Thursday. . . . . . .

One of my old Inserted Wagglers has had a referb.
I never use this one much so I thought I would give it a new lease of life.

I have removed the swivel eye and replaced it wth a whipped brass version and added a few purple and gold threads.

The feather is the original one from 2014.

I have taken a fancy to it now . . . lol

Job done.

ip3yhj.jpg

1zleo09.jpg

2guidmq.jpg

I prefer the more sober colouration on this one. With the terrifically useful black tip, it's a winner.:)

trotter2

Reaction score
If I had to pick one float manufacture that gets the thumbs up from me it would be the old ultra range . A simple stained and varnished body with no further embellisments.
Dose it for me .;)

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Not a float this time but some thing new for me so I thought I would share it with you fellas.

I hope u like it :)

PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.

While having a brew in Elton Tackle I was asked by Craig Lutener if I could make him a swing tip, not an old fashioned one but one made of carbon. He requested that the indication band be built up wider than the . . . . . .

For more pictures and the full write up read the rest on the blog by clicking the link above. ?

2jaxoie.jpg

2cfb3gl.jpg

2mg2p81.jpg

b6pkpu.jpg

B

binka

If I had to pick one float manufacture that gets the thumbs up from me it would be the old ultra range . A simple stained and varnished body with no further embellisments.
Dose it for me .;)

They were always my favourites in terms of looks and finish, a very happy medium and slightly beyond my expectations of a mass produced float which I wouldn't mourn the loss of to the extent of some.

I've not seen any for some time, are they still available?

nottskev

Reaction score
Talking of good mass-produced floats... These Drennan Tench Perfection things are useless. They don't catch tench and they're hopeless as sliders. I've got rid of most of mine, but you might have some left, cluttering up your float boxes. If you have, I'll be happy to pop round and dispose of them for you. It's a good job Drennan stopped churning out this type of nonsense and gave us even more pole floats for commercials.

Drennan%20Floats_zpselwvhere.jpg

trotter2

Reaction score
They were always my favourites in terms of looks and finish, a very happy medium and slightly beyond my expectations of a mass produced float which I wouldn't mourn the loss of to the extent of some.

I've not seen any for some time, are they still available?

The ones I like we're made when Billy lane ran ultra binka , know you can still buy ultra floats.
But for me there not painted the same.
The ultra lignum stick and the Avon floats were my all time favourites. :)

B

binka

The ones I like we're made when Billy lane ran ultra binka , know you can still buy ultra floats.

I still call into Billy's former shop when I'm in the area, his lad is the spitting image of Billy in the face.

Not a small fella either, you certainly wouldn't want to split hairs with him but a nice chap all the same.

robtherake

Reaction score
I nearly died, age 14, swimming out for a 4 swan Ultra waggler hanging from a dead tree in the middle of the pond - perhaps 15 yards out. I'm a poor swimmer and the cold - even in mid-summer - almost got me on the way back. Somehow scrambled my way back to the bank and gave myself a talking-to that's never been forgotten. :eek:

The rescued and repaired float - I almost bust it in the mad struggle to the bank - was, at the time, my only modern float, aside from a Drennan onion fished out a few days later with three branches tied together with discarded bits of Charlie Tanner - no more swimming for me!

The local shops still carried cards of Harcork-style offerings and the nearest up-to-date tackle shop was a 20 mile cycle journey, which I eventually undertook on a regular basis just for the odd couple of Drennan floats - driftbeaters, canal darts, polywags, stabilisers and onions. I'm not sure that the cycle trip was any safer than the swim, but you don't usually drown on a main road.:)

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Talking of good mass-produced floats... These Drennan Tench Perfection things are useless. They don't catch tench and they're hopeless as sliders. I've got rid of most of mine, but you might have some left, cluttering up your float boxes. If you have, I'll be happy to pop round and dispose of them for you. It's a good job Drennan stopped churning out this type of nonsense and gave us even more pole floats for commercials.

Drennan%20Floats_zpselwvhere.jpg

I have an article somewhere with a pic of Peter on a tench session, showing the floats off before they were commercially available. I tried making a couple, but the thin cane used wasn't really suitable. IIRC, the Tench Perfection has a buoyant peacock stem? The floats in the article looked a fair bit longer than the ones on sale.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Yes, the stems on these are thin tapered peacock, and like you I've tried replicating their perfect proportions. It's proved hard to find thin enough peacock in recent years, short of stalking the beasts at the nearest stately home, but I have hopes that the new super-slim straight peacock wagglers in my local tackle shop can be married with some of the foam bodies - around 2-3 gms seems right - that can be bought for self-assembly pole floats these days. But why bother? "Bodied wagglers" on the market are awful clunky things by comparison. And those Drennan ones make the best sliding floats for the big roach in a local 12' deep venue. (Never mind the tench - there's plenty of floats will do that job). According to the pundits these days you need a huge loaded float carrying several swan for a slider.... not so; these work fine in 2 and 3 AAA. I wrote to Drennan a couple of years ago, asking where they'd gone and apparently they're "not commercially viable".

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Not as bright as starlights but starlights only last for a few hours and then are spent.

The beauty of these is they can be used again & again & again. ;)

B

binka

Being a relative novice and not wishing to be belittled I have refrained from offering any unequivocal advice on float making.

I shall now stick my neck out and offer a snippet which even the experts would have to agree with.

Upon completion of your beloved creation...

Don't sit on it!

413331326.jpg

:rolleyes:

trotter2

Reaction score
Being a relative novice and not wishing to be belittled I have refrained from offering any unequivocal advice on float making.

I shall now stick my neck out and offer a snippet which even the experts would have to agree with.

Don't sit on it!

413331326.jpg

We have all done that Lol.
Stick float are the worst :)

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

Don't sit on it!

413331326.jpg

Very nice float . . . . . Dammed shame. :(:(