How did you get on?

Krang

Reaction score
He normally talks shit Tigger,
What's the point of posting a fish you didnt catch. ?
Thought it was to good to be true, had a few quiet weeks on here.

The point was to refute the comment that I was responding to.

I caught a mythical Thames trout and came to share it with you guys.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Even though it has been roasting today I had to go and do my best to get a barbel, still hadn't got one this season!
Anyhow, I arrived at the car park at 1.30pm and proceeded to walk about a mile and a half in my thigh waders, it really was torture. I got to my spot and began trotting, i caught a few small dace right away and then a couple of chub of about a pound but no barbel?
I stood mid river with the water occasionally flowing over the tops of my waders, not good !
After a spell I did see some large shapes flashing as they rubbed against the rocks on the river bed as the fish tried to rid themselves of lice. The barbel clearly didn't want a moving bait so I removed all but my tell tale shot, slid my float up the line a few foot, added a sliding link. After a few minuites laying on my float slid under and I had hooked a barbel :). Problem was i'd foul hooked it in the pelvic area, as it tired it came to the surface and hung like a placcy bag and was near impossible to get it back up river in the powerful flow. I'd get it under my rod tip and away it would go again, this continued for a good few minuites and eventually/thankfully the hook pulled. I had a good look at that fish and it was prolly as large as any i've ever had but even if i'd landed it it wouldn't have counted. I hooked another which I had literally under the end of my 11ft avon rod tip with the tip pointing straight down and the rod bent to the but and the fish would not come up to be seen....the hook pulled out so maybe it was foul hooked also....still no bloody barbel.
I decided to walk back and try some very snaggy spots on the far bank. The river is about 70yds wide here, but shallow and I was able to manouvre my way acoss it in this low state (on tip toes) and fish in the snaggy spots on the opposite bank. I caught a few chub up to a couple or more pounds and then I caught a glimpse of a small barbel jump in amongst the roots, fallen trees and branches. I guided my float in amongst the snags and the float went under....i'd hooked the small barbel, but at close quarters with the fish in amongst the snags that little barbel was a nightmare to keep out of them. Anyhow, I managed it and the first barbel (all be it a little'un) of the season was caught....thank TF for that lol.

Here's the little blighter.....

This is is the snag pit I caught it from...

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
you guys are having a laugh right?

Hahaha...it does look kind'a dead in the pic Bill, obviously it's not dead though if you say it isn't. I think it's it's eyes that give the impression it 's joined the choir invisible lol.

Reaction score
That is where any self respecting barbel should be in this weather,they really dont like it,if snags are available and as deep under them if possible...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That is where any self respecting barbel should be in this weather,they really dont like it,if snags are available and as deep under them if possible...

The water under those snags is literally a few inches deep with quite a strong flow.
The larger fish I lost previously were in some fast water of about 27 inches to 36 inches deep and in the brightest sunny spots.
I just measured where my waders go up to on my leg out of curiosity to know the depth.
The water was tinged a rowny colour which is surprising considerring there's been no rain...prolly sewage!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Arrived at Newlands 9am, had a chat with a couple of blokes fishing .the bream still feeding and a few carp to feeder and pellet waggler.
Got to my chosen swim and set up a feeder rod instead of swingtip, and my two short margin poles with same rigs as yesterday.
Feeder rod was 12' Shimano Speedcast with Shimano 4000DL baitrunner, 5lbs mainline to 7lbs Guru hooklength with 14 hook and quickstop. Straight inline lead with small flying backlead.bait was 8mm Robin Red pellet.
Cast out and cattyed a few pellets in, kept pinging pellets over where i had cast.
After about 10 minutes tip goes round, and first carp of the day. I ended up with 4 carp ranging from 9lbs to 16lb in hour and a half.
Then the lake seemed to switch off.No one was catching, I couldn't get a bite down the margin to the lilys or dropping short of island 40 yards across.
Soi sat back enjoyed my lunch and watched the wildlife go about its business,
Reed Warblers darting in and out of rushes, red kites soaring overhead, various types of butterfly flitting about ,numerous species of duck going along with not a care in the world.
There are park type benches dotted around the waters, it's the type of place you could come to with a book and relax if you didnt want to fish. I may do that one of these days.
Peace and tranquility is in abundance here.

Reaction score
On the small river I fished Tuesday the barbel are living in amongst reed stems in inches of water,until light levels are lowert,that is why I didn't see that many,no real rush cover!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like a mad dog, I went out in the midday sun lol.
I walked through woods infested with blood sucking horse flies, scaled hills as steep as Mt Everest, then went down the other side, jumped across cavernous ditches and climbed over umpteen fences etc to get to my spot which was over a mile from where i'd parked the chug-abug.
Normally this spot produces when the river is on its bones and has in the past given me some large numbers of barbel, chub, dace, and other species such as trout. Anyhow, today it was a shadow of its former self and I struggled to get any fish.
First to oblige was a large dace, followed by a little barbel....

After the little chub I had a few dace and then nothing for about 15 min's.
I decided to switch to a static bait and removed the float and added a link leger to do some touch legering. After a couple of minutes the tip tapped and I struck into an eel, a decent siized one of about 3lb. I'd hooked it just inside its mouth and removed the hook ok. Next few chucks produced a few dace and then a barbel....

Same fish but I put this pic on to show how different they look colourwise in different light/angle.

After the barbel I had quite a few dace and then I got fed up catchin'' em and re tackled my float. I decided to walk a couple of hundred yards further down stream to another run off. After throwing in a good few large handfuls of corn and maggots I started trotting and after about five or six trots I hooked into a chub....

Next trot and another chub...

I had another four chub like those two, all quite large fish.
That was enough, my face was burning in the sun and I felt shagged out, so time to repeat the treck to get there, to get back ffs!
I had some emergency water in the car for when I got back, it was like drinking water out of the combie bolier and tasted of the placcy bottle it was in :(.
My face is like a tomatoe just now n'all....the saying mad dogs and english men go out in the midday sun is about reet!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some great fish there Tig, not many anglers would have gone through the assault course in blazing sun to reach their quarry.

There not quite as mad.?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some great fish there Tig, not many anglers would have gone through the assault course in blazing sun to reach their quarry.

There not quite as mad.?

It had to be done John, as there really was method behind the madness.
I knew there would be far fewer people out fishing in todays heatwave, and those particular swims are a long treck whichever way you approach them so I had a better chance of being able to fish them.

Krang

Reaction score
download.jpg

The "another angler" was me. Never caught one before. Thought it was a massive pike the way it was taking line. At first it was running into open water so I let it go. When it started heading towards the trees on the bank I knew I had to give it more, but I knew my hook was not strong. I had chosen it because it was a snaggy venue and I wanted to be able to straighten it out without bother. I barely managed to keep it from the trees. By this time those in nearby swims had noticed the commotion and one guy had helpfully grabbed his net. It made another run for the trees, snapping my small lure rod in half by which point the net was in position by the trees and it was landed. That was by far the best fight I have ever had. Just ordered an Ugly Stik.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Having bought a new pellet waggler rod to use in a couple of upcoming matches I thought I’d give it a waggle on a local day ticket water. Plenty of carp in there and it’s a deep lake. It took a while before I had a take but worth the wait.
Here’s one of the boring carp I caught, it appears to be giving my sinking bomb the evil eye...
2A9030EE-CA5A-49B5-B9F0-D910D45E0DA5.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
How was the rod and did it cope with the devastating method? I'm sure you have Acolytes and I'm curious how it compared. :)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It’s a pokier rod than I imagined it would be, other than that it’s a rod. I don’t own any acolyte waggler rods so can’t compare.
Quality item though, as one would expect from Daiwa...

theartist

Reaction score
on the walk back I bumped into Rob(the artist)always a pleasure,he had got into a swim nearer to the flyers that had been vacated for the evening,he landed his eighth barbel on the float and pellet as I left him and fair play to him for that...

Nice to see you down there Alan and glad you didn't wilt on the walk back to the car in that flippin heat, Had a few more barbel before packing up well before dark as had my fill and got 'barbel arm' for the first time this season, which I'll take in a swim that's not that popular. Hope to get reacquainted with some of those roach with a bit of luck, they look massive in the water and some of them are ;) You wait till it drops gin clear in a few weeks, then they really will tease.

P.s. Glad they are still in there given that baited poachers line I found in my swim

mikench

Reaction score
So glad to see you posting again Rob. I've missed your posts, your puns and your enjoyable and erudite commentary. Other than that FM has improved technologically speaking. ;)

I won't mention Watford.:rolleyes: