How did you get on?

theartist

Reaction score
So glad to see you posting again Rob. I've missed your posts, your puns and your enjoyable and erudite commentary. Other than that FM has improved technologically speaking. ;)

I won't mention Watford.:rolleyes:
Thanks bud, yeah like the new look, and hey ho hope your lot go unbeaten till the death then we'll be the answer to that old quiz question Who were the only team to thrash Liverpool in their record breaking season?

Ps they may say 'beat' I added the thrash bit as it was the last time we scored three :)

PPs what does Erudite mean? Is that a type of glue? :cool:

Reaction score
Good to see you posting Rob,yeah,my comment on your swim wasn't meant to implicate it was a flyer,it certainly isn't compared to those below you,but it does seem that once you get above there,there are less berties,enough mind to be fun.... :)

Reaction score
Went yesterday on a whim,the forecast had changed from storms to mainly dry,so I went to my local crucian lake,found a shaded corner and fished flavoured meat,feeding pellet and meat,catching roach and rudd early doors,then a tench,then six nice crucians,after that the crucians went off,and I caught a reasonable amount of roach between 4/8ozs plus three more tench,so a nice day out..

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I went back to the canal yesterday to use up some left over sweetcorn and hemp and I remembered to take some bread with me this time. On the way in one man fishing who had had some small roach and rudd. I fancied the rudd and a tench. I thought it was going to be very hot but there was a cool breeze blowing and in the shade with trees behind me it was pleasant. Same gear, cork float, 14 hook and fishing about 6ft out in 4ft of water which is the depth right across this silted up canal; weedy but gaps in between which just about works. A slightly different swim a bit further up otherwise identical fishing to the last time when I caught a big bream. I bunched the shot a bit more near the hook this time to try laying on a bit more than last time.
Nothing on the seeded brown bread which is bad, when the bread fails, all else will as well I often think, two lift bites on the corn which I struck to early, should have waited when the float sailed away and that was it. Not a sausage and still not broken my tench duck on this water, its only been about 10 years! One bloke started fishing below me and I stopped for a chat on the way home, he told me about the big tench he had and how hard they fought but he had not had one fish today which was some consolation.
I was hoping to get a shot of a buzzard circling with my zoom camera which I forgot last time but when i got there it was almost flat battery so saved it for a good shot. far to the right of me a buzzard flew straight high up but it did not look right and I think it was a male marsh harrier flying through. A buzzard appeared later far to the left but not overhead. No kingfisher, or hobby but plenty of little brown jobs flitting through the gap in the reeds in front of me. So, the highlight had to be the male marsh harrier but too far off and gone to quick for a shot.
My licence runs out on the 29th so might get one more session in and then I might do a bit of sea fishing for a while or I might resume my tench quest on this canal. been fishing a long time but it is never over and done with!

Attachments

• fm 26th.jpg
    fm 26th.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Thursday was my fishing day and it was red hot.
I’d made myself a homemade controller out of a cork, bit of lead solder and 2 swivels. Gave me an entertaining morning taking smallish carp 2-5lb off the top. I think I had 8 on a mix of dog biscuits and my sandwiches. In between the carp I had a line out only a rods length in front with a steady slow stream of ground bait, particles and cooked maggots from the sun . Gave me 9 or so bream.
It was far too hot for taking many pictures of fish.
The best part of the day was meeting up with my 2 remaining brothers, one of whom taught me to fish when I was a young annoying kid and I’ve not fished with him since I was 17 so 37 odd years.
A compete joy to be in such good company the fishing for once was secondary.
1b956707e729fca4e27eb6e985d2be1b.jpg

1043e87bea74b38e4ebd16970c6a425f.jpg

theartist

Reaction score
Good to see you posting Rob,yeah,my comment on your swim wasn't meant to implicate it was a flyer,it certainly isn't compared to those below you,but it does seem that once you get above there,there are less berties,enough mind to be fun.... :)
Yeah no worries mate I didn't take it as such, it was a flyer that evening, it usually is early season, there's usually much more barbel and chub up where you were, but judging by the nefarious activities witnessed I think the top end has been plundered a bit in lockdown, it's a shame as that's my fav area due to the mix of species. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's down to the fish breeding early and dropping back down early, plus them trees being cut back too hard but it does seem different this year

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Get the four wheel conversion kit for your shuttle!

You will thank me for this post, I assure you!
A friend got the 4 wheel shuttle, ok for canal banks and lawned type commercials, not much good for some commercials we fish when I go up north, Also I have been for a walk along the banks of the Thames at Sandford with a view to fishing it, 2 wheel better option.

Reaction score
Erudite look Rob,you frightened me when you took your hat off,obviously one way of beating the barber situation and sneaking out of the house unnoticed...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
A friend got the 4 wheel shuttle, ok for canal banks and lawned type commercials, not much good for some commercials we fish when I go up north, Also I have been for a walk along the banks of the Thames at Sandford with a view to fishing it, 2 wheel better option.
Each to their own I suppose!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nipped out to a local stream for an hours trotting, finnished up doing half an hour!
I just started catching dace when esox turned up and pooped the party by latching onto my dace. I had a few trotts through after that incident and nothing took my bait, so I think esox had frightened them away for a bit. It didn't really matter as in that short spell the river had turned into hot chocolate and was rising at an alarming rate bringing all kinds of objects down with it!

This is the unlucky dace, it has a few scars but I reckon it'll be alreet in a few weeks...

This was all I had, including the party poopers victim..

I'd decided to leave and as I started to walk away the rain began to lash down. As I got further up the bank I met a chap who owned the opposite bank and after a chat he gave me permission to go on his stretch :).

Last edited:

Reemul

Reaction score
Last minute late afternoon trip to Whitemoor Lakes, fished thr smaller lake with the 2 boys fishing and me in a supporting role. Was pretty hectic, pellet was going barmy and must have had 20 fish, best were a couple to 5lb.

A few pics on the boys fish below.

Fish 2.jpg
Fish 1.jpg
Fish 3.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
An impromptu session on the river as I have a pint of elderly maggots to use and the footie was rubbish. For some bizarre reason, I thought that standing in the rain by the river would be preferable. Working and enforced angling abstinence does strange things to me! It wasn't up to much, but fourteen dace and a horde of minnows was still better than what I saw of Norwich V MU.

bullet

Reaction score
Same river as last week, but a different stretch, bit on the breezy side and the sky was looking like showers were on the way.

IMG_20200628_151309425_HDR.jpg

Well it stayed dry, and results were pretty much the same with a good few Chublets from most swims and occasional Dace.

IMG_20200628_145427062.jpg

Probably get out with the fly next week if the wind drops a bit!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club fixture today on the Aylesbury arm. I drew on the unfancied short pound, but I was slightly relieved as the pound below was choked with weed. Only needed top kit + 2 to fish down the middle. Started on punch, first bite a small skimmer. This was followed by a run of roach. Others were having a hard day as I felt I was winning the pound of 4 anglers. Picked off a couple more roach before they did their usual vanishing trick. I’d been pinging pinkies across for a while so added 2 more sections and went over to the far shelf where I picked up 2 perch on single red maggot. The wind was very gusty but luckily from behind me, it was kin freezing though and as usual I was under dressed. Borrowed a fleece luckily, otherwise I might have gone home I was shivering so much...

2B3C762D-D25A-4C55-9FCC-55588DECA55C.jpeg

97-DD75-F2-ED5-B-453-E-A3-F5-7-CE775686-AE2.jpg

weighed in just 1:2:0 which was enough to win the match overall!

617-B56-FA-9-AEE-40-F1-A072-09-BF86-AEACE3.jpg

Runner up had 0:12:0 and 3rd 0:7:0...

9 fished.