Lower Itchen Fishery - FM Fish'in

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick b

Reaction score
Im deliberately not posting my catches but if any of you who are coming want to know or if I can help before the day send me a pm.

Barbelboi, do you use that name because your interested in those fish or ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I half wish that I could be there to meet you all and to join in on what is hopefully going to be a good day of fun and fishing.

I tried to avoid this date but when planning my trip back to Oslo had to fit in with my ex wife's diary more than my own.

So, while you will be fishing in the soft winter sunshine (providing you tie Windy to a tree somewhere on the Upper Test) I will be in Oslo paying around £12 a pint for the local brew but hopefully also enjoying some great traditional Norwegian foods of the festive period.

Still, as they say over there . . . . . . godt fiske og lykke til!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Im deliberately not posting my catches but if any of you who are coming want to know or if I can help before the day send me a pm.

Barbelboi, do you use that name because your interested in those fish or ?

Long story, there was a thread some time ago on user names that explains - otherwise I'll tell you on the 1st Dec.
Jerry

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Peter
Had quite a few trips there. If you manage to eat any Norwegian cheese, without gagging, hats off to you! :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter
Had quite a few trips there. If you manage to eat any Norwegian cheese, without gagging, hats off to you!

Graham,

I spent 15 years of my life in Oslo (between 1976 and 1998) during which time I was married to my second wife who is Norwegian.

I adore Norwegian cheese, particularly geitost and the darker (stronger) the better . . . . .

Granted, it is sort of an acquired taste though.

The only 'local' food I really cannot eat is Rakfisk, which is usually Trout or Char which is cleaned and gutted then placed in a bucket under pressure for about 3 months to ferment, and sometimes even up to a year.

It is served with flat bread and sour cream and sometimes chopped onion.

The taste is really very good, however the smell is attrocious, but if you can get it past your nose and into your mouth then it is very good.

I can't, regardless how many glasses of Aquavit I'd drunk beforehand!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes Peter I was offered the fermented dish once......whilst I was in Geilo ?
at the overland skiing place. It never made it mouthwards....

Enjoyed a bit of whale steak though. At Lofoten whilst catching those fantastic cod halibut etc .etc, A truly beautiful place. Proud to be a lifetime honourary member of the Lofoten fishing club.

I often decimated the crayfish population though, washed down with a tot for each one, Happy Days with good friends who worked for SAS.

Graham

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Peter I was offered the fermented dish once......whilst I was in Geilo ?
at the overland skiing place. It never made it mouthwards....

Enjoyed a bit of whale steak though. At Lofoten whilst catching those fantastic cod halibut etc .etc, A truly beautiful place. Proud to be a lifetime honourary member of the Lofoten fishing club.

I often decimated the crayfish population though, washed down with a tot for each one, Happy Days with good friends who worked for SAS.

Graham

Geilo is a great winter sports location, skiing mostly. In fact at Easter it is packed solid and if you want a room for next Easter then you need to book it when you arrive this Easter. Honestly!
Very expensive real estate up there too, one of my fishing friends paid over £300k just for the land to build his winter cottage on . . . . . and that was in 2001

Hval kjott (Whale meat) is really good and as tasty as a decent steak I think, and when it is kreps (crayfish) season they are stood shoulder to shoulder on some of the lakes and rivers such is the popularity.

I never made the trip to Lofoton (other than the fabulous seafood restaurant in Oslo of the same name) but I have been twice to North Cape in Finnmark which is the most northerly tip of Europe and famous for the midnight sun, and the fishing up there is excellent too.

Last edited:

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Only a week to go now and the weather forecast for the week ahead looks spot on. Couple of pins oiled and ready to go, now all that's left is tactics. Maggot and sweetcorn for the grayling, bread for the roach or even meat or pellet for the carp and barbel, not to mention the chub. All have come out on the last few year's fish-ins, and all of a very good size. Choices, too many choices.

Any news on the top stretch Peter, I know Lindsay normally doesn't allow it until closer to the time. Either way it should be an excellent day, and I look forward to seeing some old faces and meeting a few more. Have a safe drive for those a little further away.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Amazing, if it stays dry as per the forecast Windy's on a hat trick - dry also on the last FM fish'ins at MF and the LIF.................we won't mention the previous LIF and MF do's though..................................:wh

edsurf

Reaction score
Long range weather forecast looks good for the week ahead, fingers crossed for Sunday, what time is the meet up.

Cheers

Ed

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There is now one place going spare if someone fancies a crack at the Lower Itchen - £25.50 per angler

Let me know by Wednesday c.o.b. at the latest as I'm off on Thursday lunchtime.

Current List of attendees . . .

1. Jerry (Barbelboi)
2. Ian (Itsfishingnotcatching)
3. Paul (PoshPaul)
4. Simon (Peter Crabtree)
5. Graham
6 & 7 Rog & Jimmy Hill
8 S-Kippy
9 Neil
10. Windy (Jonah)
11. Ian's (Itsfishingnotcatching) brother in law
12. Son of Meldrew
13. Edsurf

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay then, here is the final list:

1. Jerry (Barbelboi)
3. Paul (PoshPaul)
4. Simon (Peter Crabtree)
5. Graham
6 & 7 Rog & Jimmy Hill
8 S-Kippy
9 Neil
10. Windy (Jonah)
11. Ian's (Itsfishingnotcatching) brother in law
12. Son of Meldrew
13. Edsurf
14. Keith Speer

Currently I have paid for 12 anglers, so 2 will have to pay the bailiff unless I can get through to Lyndsey today/tomorrow.

So, £25.50 per angler to Neil on the day is fine.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks for all the arranging Peter, shame you can't make it - hope you have a good time in Norway.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My pleasure Jerry.

There is snow forecast for Thursday over in Oslo so it might turn out to be a real pre-Christmas treat for me . . . . . .

Tight lines to all for Sunday.

One new change, only

1. Jerry (Barbelboi)
3. Simon (Peter Crabtree)
3. Graham
5 & 6 Rog & Jimmy Hill
7 S-Kippy
8 Neil
9. Windy (Jonah)
10. Ian's (Itsfishingnotcatching) brother in law
11. Son of Meldrew
12. Edsurf
13. Keith Speer

So, only one needs to pay the bailiff on Sunday so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.