SECRET SOCIETY

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I rather think that when officials of the Barbel Society join in a discussion about the Society's actions then their views are likely to be interpretted as those of the Society unless a clear distinction otherwise is made.

In saying that you must be pleased to have an opportunity to discuss gay and lesbian issues on here as I suspect such a thread would be moderated on the BS forum.

Perhaps comments like that should be restricted to the Bait Box to avoid offending the sensitivities of juvenile barbel anglers as was pointed out to me on the BS site after my own comment, "are you taking the piss" was removed by a moderator? And wasn't that moderator you Paul?

Anyway, while I'm on here, can I pose a question to the right honorable gentleman in his officail capacity?

As so many BS members feel the Society's forum should be kept away from the prying eyes of the hoy polloy and that many have gone so far as to express a view that outsiders should be bannished from Society social evenings and slide shows, will you still be advertising future events on this and other open sites, or might that be seen as a tad hypocritical?

I mean, you do listen to the membership and act on their wishes, don't you?

F

Fred Bonney

I also think that what Paul was saying,even now I'm sober ,was, no matter what officials of organisations say, they will be taken as saying it, with their organisations hat on.
Edit
Must have been thinking as Bob,hit the button.
I also think that as the question you asked Bob,is hypathetical,based on a few comments on the official site.Until, or if it becomes official policy,he will not able to answer you as an official.
And,anyway what would be the point of advertising if nobody was invited?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Tony,

The important point is in the criteria and not so much in the individuals name or affiliated group.

Unless I see that Tony, Steve, Phil (or whoever) sign off with their organisational title then I will continue to accept that they are speaking as individuals.

F

Fred Bonney

Ah but,Peter you seem to have your head screwed on the right way,many others don't.

Oh yes, and Bob,have a look at the Barbel on poles thread,and elsewhere, one or two new members it seems, are stretching the limits to what you can get away with much more on this site,outside the Baitbox, than the BS or BFW site anyway.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Fred the question, or should I say two questions, were put to Paul and he can choose to answer it or not.

It's not for you, Tony or even me to give an answer. The first part, though easily construed as jest is not. There is a current gay related thread in Bait Box should anyone wish to discuss such issues. It's definity off-topic here and bearing in mind the sensitivities expressed on the BS site perhaps those same officials who complained about their 5 year-old children seeing my comments should now thank me for pointing this out and asking for decency.

Wooooshhhh!!!! Sound of pig flying by...

The second point is relevant to all regulars of the FM Barbel Forum who are not members of the Society. They've effectively been told to keep their noses out of Society discussions by preventing them from reading the forum. However, this discussion to exclude non-members from meetings was running on the BS forum prior to the decision being made to make it a members only benefit. Therefore they are both aware of it and entitled to a view (no pun intended).

Anyway, over to Paul (or Steve), I think.

T

Tony Rocca

I have a problem with your last but one post Bob and its the same old thing that I always have a problem with.

You imply, through the careful use of words, things that just are not true.

You said,
"many have gone so far as to express a view that outsiders should be bannished from Society social evenings and slide shows",

Thats just not true Bob, as you well know, I think just one person mentioned this. You exagerate the point to suit yourself, its a bad trait.

You also try to pull Paul and I up for having a private joke on here about lesbians, a bit of fun that will have passed you by but not many others. Whats up? homo...phobic or summut, phew, almost put the wrong word in there and look what Robbie Williams did the other week.

No doubt the Honorable Gentleman will be along to answer your question soon.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Really Tony? Only one member suggested that Society meetings should be a members only benefit?

If you wish to have a private joke about lesbians and gays then do it on the Society site or private mail. Better still don't do it at all.

I have personally known and fished with three lesbians, good anglers, too. Chances are we've all fished with umpteen gays and not known about it. If statistics mean anything there are probably 140 in the Barbel Society.

Homophobic? Me? On the contrary. But you might care to look in the mirror, the pair of you.

T

Tony Rocca

Bob,
Yup, just 1.
And if I post anything out of order on here I expect the good Mr Marsden to moderate it, or have you promoted yourself to being the sites unofficial gay spokesperson now?

If so my friend would still like to contact another lesbian fisher person for quiet nights in and occasional fishing trips, for she too is of that ilk. Maybe you could help out then.

Homophobic? not me sunshine.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Come on lads, you've both had your say now about gays and lesbians, let's get back to fishing, and the Barbel Society, if we must.

T

Tony Rocca

Just passing the time whilst Paul get home Graham.

Im looking forward to Christmas arnt you?

Paul. Owens

Reaction score
Hi Tony
Yes I'm looking forward to Christmas very much. I love it favourite time of the year to spend time with the family and see the excitement on my son's face on Christmas morning.

Tony I answered your earlier post in good faith and am sad that it has again been pulled apart and twisted. Cheap shots being taken once again.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Did I say I was thinking about joining the BS?
Fred you said I wouldn't regret it!
Is there a secret hand shake as well?

;-)

E

EC

They do when I catch them (on the pole with size 1 elastic) in my shallow pond Bazza!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I hope your joking Eddie!
Size 1 elastic would mean you will be playing them for hours...!
Good fun though!