Which digital scales ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Great stuff again fellas really appreciate the feedback. Especially big thanks to Ray for the photo...they dont look as big as I was expecting.

I do like the look of the Samsons with perhaps Skippys cheaper newsomes as a backup.

One more question about the Samsons..are you able to toggle between either KG/grams and Pounds/ounces on the same unit ? ...or do you need to be specifc on which you want when you buy it ? ...its not too clear on the marketing blurb on the web sites..

Also whats a reasonable price for them ...I am seeing some vasty different costs on line and I dont want to just plump for the cheapest in case its a scam.

Thanks !
There is a button to toggle the reading. The price varies considerably, the cheapest Ii saw was about £50 + VAT. They are good but I most certainly wouldnt pay some of the asking prices.

Reaction score
The Samsons do pounds/ounces and kgs Philip,just press a 'button',they do come in different weight limits,with varying accuracy,ie half ounce/ounce etc,so it's take your pick really depending on species/usage...

Reaction score
I've looked on Amazon and everywhere else come to that for Newsome scales and cant seem to be able to find an outlet to buy them,dont even show on Amazon,Newsomes own website shows them,but...i'm probably not typing it in correctly...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've looked on Amazon and everywhere else come to that for Newsome scales and cant seem to be able to find an outlet to buy them,dont even show on Amazon,Newsomes own website shows them,but...i'm probably not typing it in correctly...

I know....they are difficult to pin down on Amazon. Go via Google and search for " 35kg capacity digital hanging scales" . The same search term on eBay gets you to Newsomes too.

Reaction score
I actually emailed Newsomes this morning,they deal with trade customers only,the guy gave me the name of a company who retails them though,a question,do the Newsomes scales weigh pounds and ounces,because the scales I bought from ebay as per ad on this thread do not,it's either a decimal of pounds,or all in ounces(which is fine,my arithmetic is good)...

Last edited:

TimFB

Reaction score
Tried electronic when my Avon’s died. Complete waste of space for me. I rarely weigh a fish unless I think it may be a PB and hadn’t considered that’s so infrequent the batteries will be long dead? gone back to dials with a Reuben Heaton flyweight. Good enough for me and seem to be accurate enough but then again I could care little as long as I am within 4 oz or so ?

Reaction score
The companies name that sells the Newsome scales is ejay tools ltd,just ordered a set,£13.49 post free...

Reaction score
The cheapies that I bought are bloody tiny Ray and weigh up to 40k,shame they don't weigh in pounds and ounces,instead of one or the other,hey-ho,what do you expect for £3.50 lol....

Reaction score
No problem mate,the ones I have just bought are ok,but the Newsomes will give me a set of digital for each bag I use...

Philip

Reaction score
No pressure on me then. I hope you like them.

...I just took the plunge and got a pair too ...so the weight of expectation grows by the minute :) ...I jest, I am sure they will be good.

Thanks as well to Alan for the link.

I plan to get the Samsons as well ...that will be on the Xmas present list...lets face it ....got to be better than socks..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The cheapies that I bought are bloody tiny Ray and weigh up to 40k,shame they don't weigh in pounds and ounces,instead of one or the other,hey-ho,what do you expect for £3.50 lol....

I got a set of those cheap'o ones off fleebay and they are very small.
They weigh in pounds and ounces and in kilos and grames.
They also delet the weigh bags weight, and give the weight of the fish only.
I think I paid about three and a half notes deliverd.
If I ever feel the need to weigh a fish I have two sets of scales with me, those small digis and a small set of tubular type spring scales.

No idea why they make many of tye sets of digi scales so large when the workings are tiny!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I got a set of those cheap'o ones off fleebay and they are very small.
They weigh in pounds and ounces and in kilos and grames.
They also delet the weigh bags weight, and give the weight of the fish only.
I think I paid about three and a half notes deliverd.
If I ever feel the need to weigh a fish I have two sets of scales with me, those small digis and a small set of tubular type spring scales.

No idea why they make many of tye sets of digi scales so large when the workings are tiny!

Very few scales are made specifically to weigh fish. Some are originally made for weighing poultry, luggage etc. The weight/size of the scales doesn’t really matter then.
Ergonomics are more vital, being able to grip the scales without them slipping through your hands becomes more important than their weight or portability. Having said that the scales Skippy posted look far more portable for roving and I may get a set for my spinning kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very few scales are made specifically to weigh fish. Some are originally made for weighing poultry, luggage etc. The weight/size of the scales doesn’t really matter then.
Ergonomics are more vital, being able to grip the scales without them slipping through your hands becomes more important than their weight or portability. Having said that the scales Skippy posted look far more portable for roving and I may get a set for my spinning kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Ray, I realise that the scales are made with gripping them whilst weighing in mind. A friend of mine got some belters which had a small hand grip built into them and they were still small and light. I think they may have been rapala, but i'm not sure. They had a red and white body.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Well the Newsomes arrived this morning and they are smaller than the others,though deeper,the Newsomes are slightly heavier,well pleased,they are in a small cloth bag now in a small lunchbox raring to go....(y)

Molehill

Reaction score
I have a couple of sets of the cheap luggage scales direct from china, tested them and they were near spot on for my use. Couple of years later I suspect some of my weights and test them again at home (new batteries installed) and was getting odd readings around 1lb light, both sets were out.
Sought advice on new scales, tried to buy recommended ones and all out of stock. Tried another test, more specific comparing with an old set of spring Avon's and checking the test weights on wife's digital kitchen scales. Weighing is spot on now - so what the hell is going on?
Had a scratch and a think and found the problem.
To weigh larger weights especially I had been holding the scales by the body and not the attached loop, this was giving the false readings every time, soon as I suspended the scales by the loop they were accurate. Now going to carry a bit of bamboo to put through as a T bar when weighing.

steve2

Reaction score
Found out in the past that the body of the scale should not be held when weighing fish or anything else. Was told this when doing steward work on a match.

Molehill

Reaction score
Found out in the past that the body of the scale should not be held when weighing fish or anything else. Was told this when doing steward work on a match.
I've found out the hard way!
But I wonder how many anglers have inadvertently done it whilst weighing fish, very easy to do especially when using small digital scales and bigger fish - body of the scales is easier to hold and control. At least mine have weighed light so I'm not claiming bigger fish than I caught, been diddling myself out of weight instead :confused: