Bargains. Let us know.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I didn't pay close attention, but I think Leigh Tackle may have had a few different Matrix poles at daft prices in the last month or so.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
how’s this mark.
Thanks I will contact them tomorrow .
I got 3 topkits with mine . Presume this will have 3 , 1 in the pole plus 2 spare.
Two topkits alone are about £95 so it's a bargain

Aknib

Reaction score
I think I got the bargain of the century today and that my willow basket will not be the only bit of willow that will be accompanying me on the riverbank this coming season.

Visited a local car boot earlier and my eyes almost popped out of my head, i've long been after one of these but never really found one that was big enough to carry the food and drink too, and with 'real' as opposed to plastic glasses, plates and cutlery.

Unused and there's even a chromed corkscrew and bottle opener along with wine cooler, linen napkins and table cloth/throw, salt 'n pepper pots... the works! Just a couple of rust stains from the screws which hold the panel in which i'll have sorted in no time tomorrow.

Amazingly the lady selling it was asking just twenty quid and a bloke was already bartering with her before getting it down to thirteen quid and grunting that he'd have it if it was still there when he came back.

I made sure it wasn't and with festival season now upon us it will be getting plenty of use too :cool:

JL1.jpg
JL2.jpg
JL3.jpg
JL4.jpg
JL5.JPG

nottskev

Reaction score
I think I got the bargain of the century today and that my willow basket will not be the only bit of willow that will be accompanying me on the riverbank this coming season.

Visited a local car boot earlier and my eyes almost popped out of my head, i've long been after one of these but never really found one that was big enough to carry the food and drink too, and with 'real' as opposed to plastic glasses, plates and cutlery.

Unused and there's even a chromed corkscrew and bottle opener along with wine cooler, linen napkins and table cloth/throw, salt 'n pepper pots... the works! Just a couple of rust stains from the screws which hold the panel in which i'll have sorted in no time tomorrow.

Amazingly the lady selling it was asking just twenty quid and a bloke was already bartering with her before getting it down to thirteen quid and grunting that he'd have it if it was still there when he came back.

I made sure it wasn't and with festival season now upon us it will be getting plenty of use too :cool:

View attachment 26993View attachment 26994View attachment 26995View attachment 26996View attachment 26997

The four-person capacity should keep you going for the afternoon, Steve. What a find!

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Korum S23 Compact Accessory Fishing Chair

Usually £100, now selling for £60 at Angling direct. Very stable base and takes plenty of attachments.

nottskev

Reaction score
New one has much smaller footprint, which will make it easier to get in the car, but doesn't look to be compatible with the wheel kit, which was a good point about the older model and the reason I bought one.

flightliner

Reaction score
A big shout out for Angling Direct.
I decided i needed a short 7' ish rod to use on a few Notts rivers where theres little room to strike with confidence on account of trees, high marginal reeds, waist high nettles and brambles.
I looked on ADs website and found what i thought would be suitable for the job, a 7' 1.75tc Avanta "Ambush" job, so next day I called in to buy one but was told the last one had gone that very morning.
The guy looked on his pc at other of their outlets and found one left at the Nottingham branchso suggested I give them a ring.
I did and when I told the assistant that I lived in Sheffield he said there was a member of staff who lived close and said if I called the following day he would take the rod up to the Sheffield branch and drop it off.
I then called on friday with my wife before meeting up with friends for a pub lunch in Bakewell and the rod was there waiting for me.
I checked it out for any flaws, found none, said ok, I'll have it, so the chap rang up the sale and expecting to hear him say £29-99 pence sir, was surprised to hear him say £17-45p.
It turns out that friday mornings is the day AD give big discounts on certain items of stock.
I can only think in my case that it was the last rod available of its type.
Love the rod!
Many thanks Angling Direct for going the extra mile!

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
In the late 80's, Harrison brought out the finest canal float rod I ever saw - 11'6', spliced tip, short handle, red whippings on a black blank, featherweight, sweet-actioned, a little masterpiece of understated class. I'd have cheerfully paid £100 anytime for a good one, but they're long gone. I just bumped into one on Facebook - used once, £25! Sadly, collect only and if the seller were any further away they'd be in France. Someone will get a once in a lifetime rod bargain.

@Clive

Reaction score
In the late 80's, Harrison brought out the finest canal float rod I ever saw - 11'6', spliced tip, short handle, red whippings on a black blank, featherweight, sweet-actioned, a little masterpiece of understated class. I'd have cheerfully paid £100 anytime for a good one, but they're long gone. I just bumped into one on Facebook - used once, £25! Sadly, collect only and if the seller were any further away they'd be in France. Someone will get a once in a lifetime rod bargain.
If you are confident about the rod you could consider Mailboxes to collect, pack and post.

nottskev

Reaction score
If you are confident about the rod you could consider Mailboxes to collect, pack and post.

I let the seller know he was giving it away, in case they were unaware of its value and rarity. He replied that he knows, but circumstances demand. It looked mint in the pics.

@Clive

Reaction score
I let the seller know he was giving it away, in case they were unaware of its value and rarity. He replied that he knows, but circumstances demand. It looked mint in the pics.
It is heartbreaking when I find something really nice on an auction and the shipping terms & conditions are no deliveries. :confused: