Bargains. Let us know.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
In the late 80's, Harrison brought out the finest canal float rod I ever saw - 11'6', spliced tip, short handle, red whippings on a black blank, featherweight, sweet-actioned, a little masterpiece of understated class. I'd have cheerfully paid £100 anytime for a good one, but they're long gone. I just bumped into one on Facebook - used once, £25! Sadly, collect only and if the seller were any further away they'd be in France. Someone will get a once in a lifetime rod bargain.
Kev , I was offered the actual prototype of the rod when I was in Harrison's shop in Liverpool . It had been trialled on the northwest canals .
I was selling one of the lads there a Daiwa pole .
It looked very similar to the Drennan crystalite ,and I think at the time there were issues between Drennan and Harrison's over it , So From what I recall ,Harrison changed the design slightly .Hence the prototype was up for sale.I was offered it for £60 , I already had the original 13' and 12' GTi spliced tip rods with sliding reel fittings ., so I decided against it .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
In the late 80's, Harrison brought out the finest canal float rod I ever saw - 11'6', spliced tip, short handle, red whippings on a black blank, featherweight, sweet-actioned, a little masterpiece of understated class. I'd have cheerfully paid £100 anytime for a good one, but they're long gone. I just bumped into one on Facebook - used once, £25! Sadly, collect only and if the seller were any further away they'd be in France. Someone will get a once in a lifetime rod bargain.
Where on Facebook kev , and where collect from .
Without sounding mercenary I wouldn't mind going after it .
Just seen what looks like a Drennan Matchbox seatbox on there with octopus legs and fitting for £25

nottskev

Reaction score
Not many would recognise what a great little rod it is, Mark. My recollection - I had a go with one owned by some bloke on the Leeds Liverpool near Burnley - was that the Harrison was pretty different, lighter and crisper with a finer tip. I liked the Drennan, but never bought one though there were plenty around, but I lusted after the Harrison. At first I couldn't afford one, then when I could I couldn't find one. C'est la vie.

It was Ashford, Kent, but the bloke told me he had someone coming for it. Ad had been up for 3 days. He'd reduced the price from £30 to £25!!. Replies suggested the seller was unwell, so may be some sad story behind the sale.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Not many would recognise what a great little rod it is, Mark. My recollection - I had a go with one owned by some bloke on the Leeds Liverpool near Burnley - was that the Harrison was pretty different, lighter and crisper with a finer tip. I liked the Drennan, but never bought one though there were plenty around, but I lusted after the Harrison. At first I couldn't afford one, then when I could I couldn't find one. C'est la vie.

It was Ashford, Kent, but the bloke told me he had someone coming for it. Ad had been up for 3 days. He'd reduced the price from £30 to £25!!. Replies suggested the seller was unwell, so may be some sad story behind the sale.
Was it on marketplace , ? I've scanned all the buy and sell angling forums I am on , not seen it .
Considering I was paying £70 for the GTi spliced tip . I thought £60 was a decent price .
In fact I sold a Drennan IM( can't remember the number) I know I paid £100+ for it 13' waggler at a loss to but a GTi.
The Drennan waggler was brilliant on Lymm Dam ,long range casts and good on connecting with bites . Not so good on the Bridgewater or Sankey canal . To powerful.

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev , I know someone in Ashford as well , he could have collected it I reckon , post to me and I could have met you like last time on my next trip to Warrington .

That would have been a plan! Funny isn't it? I've got so many rods I feel bad about it, but I'm sorry I missed that Harrison canal rod. I think maybe it's because of the connection to my fishing roots. These days I've got elbow tendonitis from fast water barbel, I use some line and hooks I'd never have dreamt of once. But I still think I'm a 1lb bottom angler at heart lol. I'm impressed that you've bitten the bullet and opted to slim it all down.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
That would have been a plan! Funny isn't it? I've got so many rods I feel bad about it, but I'm sorry I missed that Harrison canal rod. I think maybe it's because of the connection to my fishing roots. These days I've got elbow tendonitis from fast water barbel, I use some line and hooks I'd never have dreamt of once. But I still think I'm a 1lb bottom angler at heart lol. I'm impressed that you've bitten the bullet and opted to slim it all down. ,
Aiming for probably 3 float rods 1 feeder and my old canal wand , about 3 reels , margin pole .
AS1 Seatbox and a chair. 1 carryall, not even bothering with holdall, And a couple or three reels . Got loads of pole rigs ,will keep those , and more than likely make more , got the floats ,winders and trays , Something to do when nights draw in .
Hoping my Daiwa G50 is sold tomorrow.

The Sogster

Reaction score
This is on offer at Tesco £1.85 for 340g with clubcard.
In the Asian aisle.

20230803_223337.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
That seems like a bargain but as I already have six chairs I will pass on it.

I have a Aeronium recliner chair that I must have had for about it a year now. It must be just over the year, as the Christmas decorations were in the old box. This is the one I use mostly at present due to its lightness. It’s not quite as comfortable as a Daddy Longlegs or Korum accessory chair but it doesn’t give you a hernia carrying it either. I’m no lightweight, so it’s done well to survive so long.

seth49

Reaction score
Silvercrest Vacuum Sealer https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/silvercrest-vacuum-sealer/p10010204
1703837171017.png
1703837171017.png
the above is coming into Lidl shortly, wouldn’t be without mine, good for resealing bags of groundbait and pellets etc, also good for any baits your going to freeze, as they keep a lot better if vacuum packed, also good for storing maggots in the freezer as well, they keep better if vacuum packed to turn them into dead’s.