Bargains. Let us know.

ian g

Reaction score
Update on this:

As promised the part must have been dispatched immediately, with a spare thrown in for good measure.

The repair was a simple unscrew job and took a matter of seconds.

So, I suppose these things happen and credit to Cadence for as good customer service as can reasonably be expected. They are building a brand on this basis and I’ll certainly have no qualms in buying again from them in the future.
That was the sort of thing I had heard about them . Good customer service is quite rare in our throw away society . i suppose that's why so many people watch the Repair Shop , where people actually fix things

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
On the label it has Grice and Young which I believe was a good make of center pin but I might have that wrong.
Grice & Young of Christchurch (Hants) produced a wide range of reels, all of which were built like tanks! Even the same model varied a lot in appearance, as they tended to mix and match fittings from a common tub of parts. I have a Jecta Century 3, bought new in 1977 for £5, and the sound of the check when a carp takes off in the margins is loud enough to wake the dead. Good strong reel, though.

Reaction score
What is strange is the part protruding from the front of the reel looks like a connection for an air line(engineering factory),most odd...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Grice & Young of Christchurch (Hants) produced a wide range of reels, all of which were built like tanks! Even the same model varied a lot in appearance, as they tended to mix and match fittings from a common tub of parts. I have a Jecta Century 3, bought new in 1977 for £5, and the sound of the check when a carp takes off in the margins is loud enough to wake the dead. Good strong reel, though.
That's interesting, this one is a heavy lump, the reel seat, drum etc. are solid metal. here is a u-tube video to how it should work when in good order.

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If anyone is after a cheap keepnet, an online shop called Furure Fishing has the Garbolino super Rocket keepnet for £24.99 with free postage. This is half what they normally sell for a looks like a great deal.
I’ve not got the net nor ever used the shop, so please let the buyer beware.

mikench

Reaction score
If that is Future fishing in Newark then they are very reliable and run by a guy called Tony Porter. I have bought a few things there.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A visit to one of my hidden away old book shops yesterday and got these for £9. The Venables one is not anything much, half the book has out of date maps and the other half a bit of basic stuff but nice enough illustrations and will go in my bookcase or as part of an auction lot one day maybe. The Tail of the Weir book is more interesting, first written in 1932, should be some good stuff in it, I like their take on fishing from that era and weirs are interesting. Sections on the fish and the rivers, Thames, Hamp Avon etc.
P1000062.JPG

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
That Venables title (I also have a copy) is a bit of a mystery - it looks as though it was intended to be the first of a series covering the whole of the country (or at least England), but no more were ever published.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That Venables title (I also have a copy) is a bit of a mystery - it looks as though it was intended to be the first of a series covering the whole of the country (or at least England), but no more were ever published.
I will have a closer look later, I have only had a brief look through it but maybe they thought it would become out of date too quickly and not worth pursuing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
ATTOTW is an absolute classic and one of my all time favourites. I have it in hardback and paperback.
Yeh, I have had a brief look and it looks like it might be good, right up my street. I will give it a good read later, I am into two fiction books at the moment so it will have to wait a bit but look forward to giving it a go.

sam vimes

Reaction score

I know it doesn't necessarily stop some people, and a tiny number may well be able, but is it particularly reasonable to expect anyone to write with authority about fishing an entire region that is not their home patch?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I know it doesn't necessarily stop some people, and a tiny number may well be able, but is it particularly reasonable to expect anyone to write with authority about fishing an entire region that is not their home patch?
No, it isn't, but the title in question was possibly an attempt by the publishers (The Daily Mirror) to cash in on the popularity of Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing, which had first appeared 5 years earlier in 1949. The point about the book in question was that it gave the impression of being the first in a series, but either this was a false impression or the sales were disappointing, leading to the project being cancelled. Bernard Venables, at that time, probably had as much if not more experience of fishing a wide variety of waters (abroad as well as in the UK) as any angling writer, as well as being editior of the newly-launched Angling Times.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I bought this yesterday from my local tackle shop, they only had one; its not perfect, I could have done with it being a bit higher and a bit bigger but it was as close to what I want as I could find; the seat is about 2ft off the ground. It will do for beach, pier etc. and a flat bank short sessions on the river or lake. I wouldn't want to be sitting in it all day but short sessions it will be comfortable enough for two or three hours. It is a bit heavy but then it is strong and should last the rigors of my fishing. It will also do for any trips to the countryside etc., taking cameras, book, papers picnic and so on, it is quite roomy, plenty enough for all my tackle and bait etc. It has a nice water proof bag inside that does up with drawstrings, a good feature. Shakespeare make but it doesn't say what model. Maybe not a bargain but at £35 I thought a good price and it will make travelling light a bit easier and convenient; it has good comfortable straps for the back.

P1000079.JPG

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I bought this yesterday from my local tackle shop, they only had one; its not perfect, I could have done with it being a bit higher and a bit bigger but it was as close to what I want as I could find; the seat is about 2ft off the ground. It will do for beach, pier etc. and a flat bank short sessions on the river or lake. I wouldn't want to be sitting in it all day but short sessions it will be comfortable enough for two or three hours. It is a bit heavy but then it is strong and should last the rigors of my fishing. It will also do for any trips to the countryside etc., taking cameras, book, papers picnic and so on, it is quite roomy, plenty enough for all my tackle and bait etc. It has a nice water proof bag inside that does up with drawstrings, a good feature. Shakespeare make but it doesn't say what model. Maybe not a bargain but at £35 I thought a good price and it will make travelling light a bit easier and convenient; it has good comfortable straps for the back.

View attachment 14963

I love these! I used mine for carp stalking, giving you a useable seat that can tuck into really tight places (ooer, Matron), and suitably left field that “serious carpers” don’t talk to you! The back breaks off eventually but still leaves a suitable folding stool, just don’t fall off a bicycle while carrying it, one ambulance ride, two A&E visits, one misdiagnosis, 4 broken ribs, internal bleeding, 10 days in hospital including ICU! A stolen bicycle, and 3 weeks off work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I love these! I used mine for carp stalking, giving you a useable seat that can tuck into really tight places (ooer, Matron), and suitably left field that “serious carpers” don’t talk to you! The back breaks off eventually but still leaves a suitable folding stool, just don’t fall off a bicycle while carrying it, one ambulance ride, two A&E visits, one misdiagnosis, 4 broken ribs, internal bleeding, 10 days in hospital including ICU! A stolen bicycle, and 3 weeks off work!

This looks very strong to me Roger, it might break but it would take some doing. Most of the ones I looked at did not have a back and were too low to the ground, flimsy looking affairs; I couldn't see myself sitting on them for more than 5 mins, cramp and all that but, this ticked quite a few boxes for me. It is a little bit narrow in the base spread so a little bit unsteady-ish but I should adjust. I also like the strength of the material and the stitching looks very strong, also the water proof bag was a bonus. I looked at quite a few online and this was the best one by far in my opinion and those on-line, very difficult to work out the dimensions or not clear about what they were so one up for the local tackle shop; at least I could try it out first; and good old Shakespeare, I reckon they did their research to come up with this for anglers. And at £35 I feel I got a lot for my money which is not always the case.

Last edited:

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Yes go for it, Mark, Although the back eventually breaks off, I usually get a couple of years of frequent use out of them, and I’m not a lightweight, is also possible to detach the bag from the chair completely. I think as this concept goes Shakespeare product is the best of the bunch. I’ll certainly buy another next time I’m in UK.