Bargains. Let us know.

rayner

Reaction score
When I worked for a living, I would have sold my soul for a flagship pole. I could never afford one.
Now I've made provisions to be comfortable I just can not justify the expense.

Bluenose

Reaction score
When I worked for a living, I would have sold my soul for a flagship pole. I could never afford one.
Second hand is the way to go mate. I have a Daiwa Matchwinner from about 1997, I did a foreigner, got a windfall and thought "**** it, I'll get a decent pole".. cost £600 new back then. It's every bit as good as those I pick up in a shop now costing 1000s. I'd not hesitate to get something 'old' were I ever in the market for a new pole.

rayner

Reaction score
No, it would definitely be a waste of money spending on a pole.
Second hand is the way to go mate. I have a Daiwa Matchwinner from about 1997, I did a foreigner, got a windfall and thought "**** it, I'll get a decent pole".. cost £600 new back then. It's every bit as good as those I pick up in a shop now costing 1000s. I'd not hesitate to get something 'old' were I ever in the market for a new pole.
The pole I am using now is 9.5 metre, I can't fish that at full length. If I need to fish beyond my pole I fish running line.

nottskev

Reaction score

I could buy one and a spare, but I'm in no way inclined to. It's not just that the gains for all the extra cost are relatively small. I find that if I buy the most expensive anything, concern about keeping it perfect gets in the way of enjoying it. This would apply particularly to poles, perhaps the most fragile and easily damaged item of gear. My (one time) flagship pole is robust enough for me to have fished mostly without rollers, roosts, socks etc for decades, and I don't want to join the legions of blokes feather-bedding their pegs and still regularly repairing and replacing sections. I like good tackle, but I don't want to spend the day anxious in case it touches the ground, gets dirty or whatever. I find the same with cars. If I invest too much in a car I end up worrying over possible scratches, parking at the far end of every car park.

rayner

Reaction score
Speaking of cars, when I was a driver the cars I had were worn out when I got them. I never spend more than 300 quid on a motor. I had a mate who was a mechanic who kept my cars on the road. They never broke down.
When I was struck by illness my wife took over the driving, after I came out of hospital my wife said I want a new car I said I'll ask Wayne, my mechanic, what is available. My wife said, no I want a new car. At least she's happy now. The car we had at the time was rough.

nottskev

Reaction score
Speaking of cars, when I was a driver the cars I had were worn out when I got them. I never spend more than 300 quid on a motor. I had a mate who was a mechanic who kept my cars on the road. They never broke down.
When I was struck by illness my wife took over the driving, after I came out of hospital my wife said I want a new car I said I'll ask Wayne, my mechanic, what is available. My wife said, no I want a new car. At least she's happy now. The car we had at the time was rough.

I don't think I'd buy a new car even if I won the lottery, when it seems so clear the second owner, given the depreciation immediately a new car leaves the dealer, gets the better deal. The used car may well be even better than new - the owner who splashed out has probably chased up and had rectified by the dealer any defects it came with. Upgrading the car is not one of my daydreams.

rayner

Reaction score
The car we have now is 4 years old she loves it. The total mileage is 6000 miles. Going on mileage it will last forever. We still have to have the airbag changed, apparently, there is a fault. It will have to be seen to.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Time for a drinks break?

I won't spend more than seven quid on a bottle of wine, maybe a tenner when Tesco or Sainsbury do a 25% offer, so when I saw this cheeky little number in Sainsbury's which ticks every box, South African ,high in Alcohol content and so cheap, surely it must taste like vinegar? The Sauvignon Blanc is £4 and the Cabernet Sauvignon is £3-85 and that one is 14%!

They both taste pretty damned good, buy some if you don't like it, then it's the perfect bottle to take to a party or round a friends house for dinner. ?

D19735A3-3CA4-4F4B-A90C-B7A094F2DA29.jpeg

Reaction score
A bit hasty Alan? We have to consider the £1,500 Guru Rive seatbox, the £700 Daiwa reel any any number of other contenders.

Lol,could you imagine spending that on fishing tackle immediately after getting married,it would be the shortest marriage on record,you like me Kev would not buy those items full stop,the money paid doesn't give the improved performance that amount should equate to(imo Sam,lol),my tackle is what I consider v.good quality,but it's no good paying thousands for something your fishing doesn't warrant....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Got a nice heads up from another forum. Lidl are selling a range of reels, all priced at £12-99.

I happened to be passing one this morning so it would have been rude not to, sadly they only had a few left, I grabbed a small spinning reel, perfect for when I'm wading out in the sea, won't lose any sleep if it's get dunked in seawater. With a spare metal spool, three years warranty, it's a no brainier for thirteen quid.

00ACA189-076E-41D3-82E2-FE2C8D6D2847.jpeg
19D4985A-50F0-4801-AF26-C0523F770636.jpeg

They do a baitrunner which is what I'd hoped for.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not a bargain but something of a surprise. I recently advertised a Yew king size headboard we’ve had for thirty years on a local Facebook page without a sniff.

one last attempt before taking it to a charity shop and placed it on Ebay, collection only from me in Whitstable. It sold within 12 hours, the buyer, a chap from North Yorkshire is driving down to collect it!

I told him he must be want it a lot, he said he has the matching bedroom furniture and has been looking for this particular headboard for a very long time., he does also have a daughter living in Tonbridge about thirty miles away who he will visit.

Must be as keen as the man that travelled by plane and train from Ireland to buy a car from me a few years ago.

flightliner

Reaction score
I came across some camping slippers in Aldi this morning, if I still did nights on the bank I would have put two pair in the trolley, a fair price at £5—99, but really good for long stay guys and ok for just wearing around the house.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Got a nice heads up from another forum. Lidl are selling a range of reels, all priced at £12-99.

I happened to be passing one this morning so it would have been rude not to, sadly they only had a few left, I grabbed a small spinning reel, perfect for when I'm wading out in the sea, won't lose any sleep if it's get dunked in seawater. With a spare metal spool, three years warranty, it's a no brainier for thirteen quid.

View attachment 15551View attachment 15552

They do a baitrunner which is what I'd hoped for.

Which size baitrunner do you want? They had a 5000 and (I think) a 3000 in one of my locals. They also had 2000 and 3000 size spinning reels.
I won't be going near that branch imminently, but I'll pass another before the England match tonight. I could have a quick look if you still want one.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which size baitrunner do you want? They had a 5000 and (I think) a 3000 in one of my locals. They also had 2000 and 3000 size spinning reels.
I won't be going near that branch imminently, but I'll pass another before the England match tonight. I could have a quick look if you still want one.

that's a really nice gesture Chris, I'm going to be far too sensible and pass on your offer, I don't need one, just wouldn't have been able to,
pass one in the shop without succumbing.?

Many thanks mate
?

sam vimes

Reaction score
No worries. I did something similar myself. Picked each of the different types up for a good look. Thought about which one to buy and eventually gave my head a wobble. I don't have anywhere near as many reels as rods, but I've got quite enough, even if they were only £13. Decided to treat myself to a Chinese instead!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Picked up in an antique shop yesterday for £2, its a decent bank stick, brass with all moving parts, the rest bit is plastic though and not sure if it is an actual antique but it will do me.
P1000121.JPG

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gordon's Gin 1L reduced from £20 to £16 with Tesco clubcard. ?