Bargains. Let us know.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A dolly butt is a small extension piece, can be used for exact reach if needed or for sitting on to protect main section when holding pole still.
Some poles come supplied , others don't,
Some manufacturers use the dolly butts to give the total length , ie 16 metres.
Other manufactures poles are 16 metres without dolly butts.

nottskev

Reaction score
Has anyone bought tackle from AliExpress?

I came across it on another forum (the one some members go to to complain about FM) where the poster was enthusing about some good cheap whips they'd bought. They do look good, and I went to buy a 6m.

The site has PayPal as an option, but I could only find card payment at the checkout, so I've left it for the time being.

Anyone know the site?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Used it on many occasions although not for fishing tackle. Not had any problems apart from a non delivery which I got a refund for, paid for by PayPal although didn't have to resort to PayPal for the refund. Not all vendors seem to have PayPal as an option.

nottskev

Reaction score
Used it on many occasions although not for fishing tackle. Not had any problems apart from a non delivery which I got a refund for, paid for by PayPal although didn't have to resort to PayPal for the refund. Not all vendors seem to have PayPal as an option.

Good to heat that Gordon. I fancy trying the whip at that price. I see PayPal on the home page, but not on the order/checkout pages. I'll look again.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought a spinning rod which has been excellent. I also bought a Diawa Tatula 200 multiplier which arrived on time. Loads of minor bits and bobs, particularly during lockdown, when lots of stuff was hard to find. The only item not to turn up was a hand warmer, it was advertised at a stupidly cheap price. They refunded me without having to make a complaint. My dealings have all been positive. The spinning rod was a cracker for about £35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
Hmm. Just went through the order process and PayPal was an option?

Oh. I only get to a page that asks me to enter card details. Maybe it's me. I need that 6m whip like a fish needs a bicycle, so I'll try again.

nottskev

Reaction score
I was getting some bait for Friday and the shop manager mentioned he only owned a few rods and fished just occasionally these days. He said one was a Shimano, with some kind of weave in the blank. He fished it out the back of the shop, and there it was a Shimano TwinPower 10'6" wand. I've had one since they came out in 1990 something and it's a little beauty. As he couldn't envisage using it, I asked what he wanted for it. £10. I could hardly say no. He went on to fish out a rod in a Normark bag. A Microlight, like new. I offered him another tenner, but it wasn't enough. Still, definitely a bargain.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have an original microlite 12’ which I bought on eBay some 3 or 4 years ago. It has the original bag with it which is red velvet with no graphics printed on it. I was very surprised when I won it for £80. Most of the examples I see on auction sites recently are in the £200 bracket.

It is my go to rod for canal fishing as the action is extremely soft and forgiving in the tip section, I don’t bump off many fish using it. although I’ve landed chub to around 5lb on it I’d say that was near the limit of its comfort. The maximum size line I’ve used without hampering it’s casting effectiveness is 3lb maxima, I will also add that the cork handle is very long compared to more up to date rods and can be awkward in some situations.

Hope this is useful info…

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I have an original microlight 12’ which I bought on eBay some 3 or 4 years ago. It has the original bag with it which is red velvet with no graphics printed on it. I was very surprised when I won it for £80. Most of the examples I see on auction sites recently are in the £200 bracket.

It is my go to rod for canal fishing as the action is extremely soft and forgiving in the tip section, I don’t bump off many fish using it. although I’ve landed chub to around 5lb on it I’d say that was near the limit of its comfort. The maximum size line I’ve used without hampering it’s casting effectiveness is 3lb maxima, I will also add that the cork handle is very long compared to more up to date rods and can be awkward in some situations.

Hope this is useful info…

I've seen that rod, enviously, in your HDYGO reports. I noticed today the bloke's rod had a screw seat. As he was taking it out of the bag, I said, is it a Titan? Maybe they made a later model with a Fuji seat? I didn't handle it - I offered a tenner but he wouldn't pass it over - but he defo said it was the Microlight.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Heres some pics…
87C1C961-E05C-4EA6-AAAC-DE5C753062AE.jpeg
5C39C30B-1B4C-48F9-9AF5-878BD46547EA.jpeg
7165042D-EAE9-420F-A196-2EC44CD667BF.jpeg

nottskev

Reaction score
The shop guy's one was in a blue bag - but then the Shimano I bought from him was in no bag- and I don't remember red whippings. Defo had the Fuji seat, though. I'll ask to look at it again next week. I had a Titan 2000, and sold it when I was feeling hard up. I can now think of any number of things I should have sold instead. Oh well. You're right about the over-long handle. My Daiwa's from the same era have the same problem. Why manufacturers thought we needed beachcaster leverage to flick a float across the canal beats me. I've has several rods customised to shorter handles. And sawn a few inches off a couple more.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thought I'd order the AliExpress whip.
Put in the correct log in - rejected.
Tried to re set password, entered verification code sent by email, rejected that
Repeated 3 times, then got timed out
Tried to use customer service, but this needs you to log in, which is the problem
Sneaked up on it 10 mins later - it let me in.
Selected item, went to pay, got message - bizarre icon of a cup of tea + message "Oh no! Internet not working."
Internet was fine for any other site.
Left message via Feedback thanking them for great shopping experience.
I've already got a whip, so this c**p site saved me from myself.'

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
They are made by Sundridge as far as I know .
I had the Sundridge Speed Match for a few years . Warm as toast,
If they are as good as that ,they are a bargain.
I bought the PI DF30 last year , mainly because I couldn't get hold of a sundridge or Daiwa .

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
They are made by Sundridge as far as I know .
I had the Sundridge Speed Match for a few years . Warm as toast,
If they are as good as that ,they are a bargain.
I bought the PI DF30 last year , mainly because I couldn't get hold of a sundridge or Daiwa .
Yes made by Sundridge but branded as Daiwa. I wear the bib and brace weekly but the jacket less frequently, so bought a new set just for the bib and brace so sold the jacket for £25 inc p and p, so someone got a real bargain there.

Without going the premium goretex route you won’t find anything near this quality at this kind of price.