Centrepins

D

Dan Wellington

Hi Alan, unfortunatly I've been tied up at work(not literally) and haven't had a chance, but i'll be sure to let you know how I get on when I do venture out on the bank!

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Hi Dan
I hope that you manage it OK if you are still having a problem with it give me a shout and we can meet up and I will show you how it's done

G

Goose Ganderton

Hi guys just a quick ?. I cant remember if this has been asked before but I have just seen an Andy Little tv show on Sky where he was fishing for Carp from a boat and was using a centre pin with the line coming off the top of the reel as opposed to the bottom. In most articles on centre pins I have read the line comes off the bottom. The way Andy uses his would cause less friction between reel and first ring but will efect casting. So is there a right way to have the line coming off the reel.

C

Carp Angler

Thats how I have mine.
Handles to the left, line from the top.
My thoughts about less friction for the trot.
Not such a sharp angle to the first eye.

Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I have mine handles to the left line coming from the bottom this is essential if you wish to "Wallis" cast and get the benefits that acrue from it. I have tried the other way for trotting and found that the increase in drag is not an appreciable factor and is more than outweighed by the inconvenience of having to wind in backwards. also line coming off the top of the reel is more likely to promote line sticking to the rod blank in wet weather between the reel and the butt ring. I know that you can reduce this by polising the blank but it still happens.

C

Carp Angler

I have a choice.....
Line off the top, with a chance of sticking to the blank...
or
Line off the bottom, with it continually catching on branches, twigs, me etc etc

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I must ask do you fish in the middle of a tree???
I have never experienced the type of problem you allude too.
And when I need to I can cast the extra distance.
If you find the line catching on objects as you walk from swim to swim then put an elastic band round the butt of your rod and loop it over the reel handle that should help...

C

Carp Angler

Are the banks you fish devoid of all vegatation then?
Reeds, bushes, trees etc are all prevalent on the banks that I fish.
I mostly like to use them as cover aswell, trying to keep myself from being a silhouette on the skyline.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
All manner of vegetation is there but I am careful enough to avoid getting it in my tackle...could be painful!!

A

Alan Cooper

I can't say I have ever had a problem with twigs and vegetation making a grab for my line except when I overcast. I would suppose that theoretically there would be very slightly less friction using the reel Carp Angler's way. But this must be minute compared to the friction of all the rings plus the reel inertia. Can't say I fancy winding backwards - I never play fish that way when using a fixed spool - just doesn't suit me. But, everyone to their own method!

C

Carp Angler

Just always done it that way.....
Same way as I put on my fly reels, but by the same token that's probably 'wrong' aswell.
What benefit do you think I would gain by using it coming off the bottom?

No an argumentative post, if it will benefit me, I will give it a go.

A

Alan Cooper

If you are used to a way of fishing you will undoubtably find it awkward and strange if you change things around. However, in a short while it will feel natural and you will wonder why you ever did it the other way in the first place. The two benefits to "normal" line loading I can think of are:1) you don't have to think when starting to fish "centrepin - this means I wind differently from my fixed spool reels" 2) you can Wallis cast as Alan Roe advocates. I also think that you would find it just a little easier to perform standard "looped through fingers" casting. Give it a go (for a while) and see!

C

Carp Angler

with winter just around the corner, the pin sees a bit more use, so I'll give it a bash.
I'll obviously report back my findings...

Thanks

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Carp Angler Are you Big Rik of size 14/15 feet fame??
Look if you fancy it e-mail me direct and I will see if I can sort us out a day on the rivers up here and we can compare the two styles..
cheers Alan

C

Carp Angler

Alan,
yes, that's me
(keep it under wraps though, once the women hear I have to get out the faeces covered stick to beat them off)

Where is 'up here'?
To somebody on the South Coast, Winchester is north of me :)

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Looks like I may just be a shade to the north of you!!!I am in Lytham StAnns Near Blackpool in sunny Lancashire!
The rivers I fish are the Ribble, Hodder, Aire, Wharfe, I travel to the Severn when work allows.
I work weir and wonderful hours mainly evenings and weekends. But if you are able to travel I'm sure that we could come to some arangement..

C

Carp Angler

The Severn seems about in the middle(ish).
I have a BAA ticket(thanks Paul) do you fish their waters or further upstream, Lymm etc?

Don't worry about bringing a translator, my wife is from Lancashire so I will be able to understand you.

S

sean archer

i seem to have missed most of this discussion but here is my 4 peniths worth
you can cast like a sidecaster by just taking the reel out of the reel fittings, holding the reel handles pointing towards the water trap the line using the right hand while still holding the rod and then just cast. it seems to work for chris lyons so give it a try.
when casting using the fingers between the rod rings method i have found it a little easier if i use a archery shooting glove, only because i had one lying about

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Sean You could learn to Wallis cast which will save you the aggro of taking your reel out of the fitttings (and risking dropping the blessed thing!!)
More to the point you wont put a load of twist into your line.This is the major bugbear with all sidecast systems.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Sean You could learn to Wallis cast which will save you the aggro of taking your reel out of the fitttings (and risking dropping the blessed thing!!)
More to the point you wont put a load of twist into your line.This is the major bugbear with all sidecast systems.
Rik- I agree the Severn seems best no I dont have a BAA book this year how about Bewedly town water or I can pick up a day ticket the question is when? Mid week days are best for me due to the nature of my job.
Cheers Alan