Wendy Perry

Mark Wintle

mickcc

Mike Mortimore

Yacko

brewery boy

Steve King

the bagger

That's 25, so the list is full, but pleasehave your name added to the reserves list

Stu Dexter, editor of Coarse Fisherman magazine, will be giving acomplete demo of mixing groundbait for Method fishing. He will also begiving advice onpole and method fishing through the day.

I'll be advising on method and bagging waggler fishing.

The day will be informal and fun, with those of us who are 'teaching' wandering the bank helping where we can, at least for the first few hours, or for as long as anyone needs help,and then we'll all fish until it's time to go home.

Those who want to can meet for breakfast at Tesco at 8am and the teach-in will start at 9.30am, or as soon as everyone has got their tackle to a swim, but no later than 10.00am.

I'll aska manufacturer to supply some end tackle and bait.

There will be a full picture feature of the dayon this site and possibly something in Coarse Fisherman.

Clattercote reservoir information

Map to Tesco's - Type Banbury in the locator box and then click on 'info and map'

Map to Clattercote - Clattercote is the little blue rectangle just above the word ‘Mollington’.

Extract from the fishery rules:[*]NEVER place fish on platforms or boards [*]Barbless hooks only – maximum hook size 8 [*]No braid is permitted as hooklength [*]All carp and tench must be land-netted. No swinging to hand

Some advice about fishing Clattercote

<u>Reserves List</u>

John Patterson

NOTE: If we end up with only a handful of reserves they can come along anyway, as there are always a few who have put their names down and don't turn up without letting us know.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'll probably fish waggler (conventional not baggin') and slider if anyone's interested.

As an aside for this day. Apart from signed copies of our new book 'Pole Fishing' I may bring along some heirs and spares on the book front. AT book 3 (1960's), **** Walker Coarse Fishing, John Bailey In Visible Waters, John Norman Coarse Fihing with the experts plus any others I dig up. I'm interested in old(er) carp books if anyone has any spares, or even newer carp books.

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
Mark,

Pleased to see you may fish waggler and slider. I will probably use one of my Polaris type floats with a method feeder (lazy me, saves plumbing depths), a method I used last summer with good effect for tench and bream in a local l2 acre lake.

Can I ask that someone brings their Fishingmagic concept rod with them for me to have a waggle with. I think that this rod may be just what I am looking for, but a cannot find a local tackle shop that stocks it.

All may become clearer on the day, but at the moment I am a little unclear as to why accurate long distance casting seems to so important when I understand that Pole Fishing is so effective on these commecial carp fisheries.

I would be very interested in any spares you may have on the book front.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Chris Bettis wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

All may become clearer on the day, but at the moment I am a little unclear as to why accurate long distance casting seems to so important when I understand that Pole Fishing is so effective on these commecial carp fisheries. </blockquote>

Hi Chris, Clattercote is a bit different to to your average "commercial" as virtually all the pegs are accessed and fished from a boardwalk. In some areas there is a "wilderness" behind you and in some conditions the carp just love to be under those boards. I'm no expert with the pole but several lost carp and smashed top sections taught me some expensive lessons last year!

I believe the venue is (was) a feeder reservoir for the local canal and as such is dammed at one end. It is also pretty deep and the carp/tench seem to typically be at range most of the time. Having said that, I did have some beautiful tench on the inside last year (but not in the match!). It takes a brave man to fish the pole when the carp are in the margins!

Have a look at the report of last years frivolities, it sets the scene very well!

Clattercote 2007

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. under the boards sounds good to me. Not with a pole but with the old fibreglass Davenport and Fordham stepped up Mark 4- 2.5 pound test curve,10lb line, centre pin reel at very close distance is more my type of carp fishing. I know braided hook lengths are not allowed but I assume braided line is. That will get rid of line stretch and anything that lets me use the old spedia to good effect is very welcome, none of that pumping fish in or playing them through a gear train - smashing.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Chris

Tried thepole last year. They took me under the boards every time. Pole bent in half and elastic shooting out. Turned to float rod. But was cursing that i had not brought my Barbel rods and 12Ib line.

Will be prepared this year(hopefully)

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Wendy Perry 2 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Graham, what do we bring with us?</blockquote>
Bring whatever tackle it is you want to learn about - method feeder gear, bagging waggler gear, pole, conventional waggler, heavy gear for 'under the boards' fishing, whatever.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Any news on a date for the match itself yet Graham?

Chris, be careful of the braid under the boards as it will have to put up with a bit of grating on the stanchions and a tough old mono maybe the best thing.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'd like to propose that fishing closer than 4 yards in front of the staging is voluntarily barred by our anglers. The carp simply get damaged - mouth damage or cut on the sharp edges of the 4" posts. You learn little except how to fish brutally, and leave hooks and ripped mouths as your calling card.

Considering here is a chance to learn skilful long range fishing from acknowledged masters there is no need for it on the day or at the Clattercote match.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Wintle (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I'd like to propose that fishing closer than 4 yards in front of the staging is voluntarily barred by our anglers. </blockquote>

I'm with Mark on this one.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Wintle (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I'd like to propose that fishing closer than 4 yards in front of the staging is voluntarily barred by our anglers. The carp simply get damaged - mouth damage or cut on the sharp edges of the 4" posts. You learn little except how to fish brutally, and leave hooks and ripped mouths as your calling card.

Considering here is a chance to learn skilful long range fishing from acknowledged masters there is no need for it on the day or at the Clattercote match.</blockquote>

...save when all the fish are behind you!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Sorry, I should obviously have put a smiley next tomy postas it was meant as slightly tongue in cheek.

P

peter webber

Graham

Can you please take my name from the list to let someone else go as I can't get a lift to this one /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif I'm gutted but will try to get the the match in april (anyone going to that one down this way willing to give me a lift ??? ).

Thanks

Fred Boniface

Reaction score
I would be very interested to attend the "Teach In" if a space should be available - please add me to the reserve list. I assume you will publish a definitive list near to the date ?

Regards to all

Fred