Eyed or spade?

nottskev

Reaction score
Weighed 30 (how sad is this?) 0.0812g each but they won't weigh that under water.

Not sad. Your FM's go-to man for all things sub-atomic.
Although I think Peytr (spelled it right?) tabulated test data comparing the density of float body materials - balsa, pith, foam.
Are you saying both weigh the same?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Not sad. Your FM's go-to man for all things sub-atomic.
Although I think Peytr (spelled it right?) tabulated test data comparing the density of float body materials - balsa, pith, foam.
Are you saying both weigh the same?

Not sure what you mean by both. I've no idea what the maggot would weigh under water but will be nothing like the in air weight. It dpends how dense they are:D

nottskev

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by both. I've no idea what the maggot would weigh under water but will be nothing like the in air weight.
Sorry. Are you saying a batch of spades weighed the same as a batch of eyed, ie no weight difference?

peterjg

Reaction score
Nottskev, your earlier findings of your comparison of b511 hooks to line to knot could be attributed to the b511 hooks being too weak for the line and knot. Tie whatever knot you use for a spade end to an eyed hook and the other end of the line to another eyed hook using the knotless knot then pull the hooks until a knot goes, the spade end knot will nearly always break first.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I thought it was fairly common knowledge that whipped spades weren't as strong as eyed. I just assumed the advantages of better presentation outweighed the loss of strength. If you can't get them on the hook you can't weigh them in.

nottskev

Reaction score
Nottskev, your earlier findings of your comparison of b511 hooks to line to knot could be attributed to the b511 hooks being too weak for the line and knot. Tie whatever knot you use for a spade end to an eyed hook and the other end of the line to another eyed hook using the knotless knot then pull the hooks until a knot goes, the spade end knot will nearly always break first.

I get that - but my point is B511 are proven favourites and, fine and "weak" as they are, anglers who use them recognise strength is being traded off again delicacy of presentation and they work perfectly well for the use I mentioned. In that set up the hook is fine unless overloaded eg unexpected big fish or whatever. And my point about the knot is this: some criticise the spade whipping as inferior to knots for eyed hooks - but in a set up where the whipping knot already proves stronger than hook or hooklength, there is no case for saying a stronger knot is needed. As the saying goes - enough is enough.

A strong chain can be proven to beat a thin string - in the abstract. But you don't need a strong chain to tie your shoes or take a small dog for a walk. I'm saying good enough in use is just that.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Nottskev, I started to write a reply and then decided to delete it. Best we just agree differ on this one. Regards.

nottskev

Reaction score
Nottskev, I started to write a reply and then decided to delete it. Best we just agree differ on this one. Regards.

No worries Peter. Always happy to see it like that. We all, I think, maintain the point of view we think reasonable and respect that in each other. Better, if we get tired of debate, to say what you just said, rather than complain our debating partner is being unreasonable. ( Always an odd thing to claim if both people have been equally unconvinced) I like your roach fishing posts, and I wouldn't dream of telling you what gear is best, as I'm sure you're not either .. Tight lines

nottskev

Reaction score
True christmas spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Mike, it would be unseasonal to deliver what they called a Philippic in the ancient world. Goodwill to all men , and all that.

philippic
/fɪˈlɪpɪk/

noun
LITERARY

1. a bitter attack or denunciation, especially a verbal one.

Philip

Reaction score
Well I gave it over 30mins and no one liked the above post (yet) which gives me hope that not everyone is prepared to descend to this level of spiteful insulting behaviour.

Thanks to those who rise above it.

nottskev

Reaction score
Well I gave it over 30mins and no one liked the above post (yet) which gives me hope that not everyone is prepared to descend to this level of spiteful insulting behaviour.

Thanks to those who rise above it.

Get over yourself. You congratulate yourself on "spicing up" FM with a bit of provocation - but you take your ball home if someone disagrees with you.
Cf post #128

I stick to my guns
You are stubborn etc etc

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I always liked hooks with a sexy midnight blue coating. Remember Drennan Carbon Caster? Oh, just checked and they still sell. And a blued VMC something or other size 22 accessorised your pinkies perfectly.
What does a PTFE coating do - on hooks, that is, not politicians?