Float making.

trotter2

Reaction score
I make floats have done for 40 yrs but I don't spend vast amounts of time finishing them off.
More interested in how they perform
Not works of art but practical user floats which make no difference if I loose a few .
Can be replaced in a few minutes.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I agree.....The whole purpose of a float is to indicate a bite in the best way possible and for that you need good design. I don't doubt the pleasure of owning some of the creations available and the immense amount of work that goes into making them, but for me it is all about creating something that works a treat and not the finishing touches.

That said, I do make some effort to produce a decent looking float and I still get miffed if I lose one, but when I can knock up a replacement in a couple of days its not that serious.....

Whatever your taste and regardless of how much you spend, it is still a delight to see 'one of your own' slide beneath the surface and after years of producing my own I still feel a glow of satisfaction!

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: HANDCRAFTED FLOATS AND FISHING EQUIPMENT - 2017

Not a float but I thought I would share this with you all.

Below is my first baiting needle. Finished in metallic silver / gold thread with the obligatory purple and a cock feather inlay.

The but cap is brass and at the business end is a steel hook tip to pull your hair rigs through.

This is the first of a range of four different needles I am making.

More pics on the blog

2dh8suq.jpg

33ljf50.jpg

6q9lj8.jpg

Wow that's some baiting needle, certainly different, well done :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Purplepeanut007: your floats are magnificent to look at and I am sure they work well but ........ I am sure it's just me but why bother? My hastily knocked up floats work fine with so little effort, the fish certainly would not be able to tell the difference. I must be missing something?

To be perfectly fair as much as we know it's just a float and is mearly a device to catch fish one needs to remember that some folk do actually enjoy making and decorating floats,
I suppose it's a sence of satisfaction and pure workmanship to see such spectacular looking floats :D

And if we can manage to actually catch a fish on some of these beautifully crafted floats them to me it all seems worthwhile :thumbs:

The only downside of spending so much time with artwork of such floats is if they end up 20 - 30 ft up a tree :eek:mg:

But I should be ok as I'm a semi retired tree surgeon

Last edited:

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
I just like to see how far I can take my skills, hopefully improve them and
to give other people a little pleasure. I love to put my own slant on stuff like the baiting needle.

There are people who have excelled at this already. I just hope I can keep up with them.

What a great question ....... ! ! !

I didn't reall know the answer until you asked it. :D

Ps : I"ll bet you enjoy seeing your own floats go under more than the shop bought ones. The same goes for me.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I made a couple of floats today, I cut a peacock quill into several pieces and stuck a rubber on one end. They work a treat and most of the work was done by the bird :).

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
PP007............I can totally see where you're coming from!

The quality of workmanship on your floats is unquestionable and the finished article something to behold, as are those of other float makers of similar ilk who sell them (still can't get my head around 'pink' though!) so it's just the difference between 'functional' and a 'work of art' and we all have an opinion on that!
TBH, I have neither the time or desire to try and produce the latter, but as I said I can totally understand those that do and I appreciate the beauty of your creations. Mine, on the other hand are the product of much trial and error so luxurious finishing not required......

At the end of the day it matters not a jot and I suppose I keep in mind what H T Sheringham once said of the float..."Whilst pleasing in its appearance, it is even more pleasing in its disappearance" and amen to that!!

ps I live in a serious shooting area, so never a problem to find all sorts of bird quills when out walking and many times I've come back home, cleaned up a sample using just my fingernail to remove the husky bits, a quick roughing of the surface/ folded end to produce an 'eye' followed by a coat of paint, gives me a decent enough float ready for use the next day......Works a treat and looks nice sat next to lily pads in true Crabtree style!

Don't think I would get many takers on ebay, though!!!

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
(still can't get my head around 'pink' though!)

'Pink on a float???' No neither can I get my head around it.
However if pink floats your boat then that's fine, it's just not for me I'm afraid Lol.

I've got a lot of respect for those that spend a lot of their time producing floats that are works of art so don't get me wrong but when I make a float it's usually because I need a float to overcome particular water conditions or types of bites and so putting feathers and fancy thread and fancy paint colours on a float just doesn't come into it however I may have a play with these things if I get a little stir crazy in the midst of winter next year however I probably won't be using them, just put them on display in my fishing den; but Pink? No that's just not my colour Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
ÌI suppose its all down to personal preferences, we all have our fancies and whatever rocks your boat.
Myself I don't like floats what carry excessive (in my view) fancy whippings.
I much prefer a one colour somber float practical , replacable without too may tears float
It easy too go over the top in my view and produce art deco floats.
Sorry but not for me.:)

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: A Sneaky Lifter Special . ?

People say its the little things that make all the difference and I believe it is true with regards to my Sneaky Lifter Floats.

I have replaced some of my black silk to a finer grade and also replaced some of it with metallic gold. The foats that have a yellow segment also glow in the dark.

I think it is quite striking but I will let you decide for your selves.

For more pics and the full write up hit the blog link above. :)

beelx2.jpg

2n0motc.jpg

x1ivz9.jpg

Keith M

Reaction score
Nice looking floats.

They look fairly short floats which I thought would be ok for using for the Tench lift method especially if I added some rubber tubing over the base to lock it into position, but they do take a little too much shot so would probably be a lot better if they were a little shorter and took a little less shot.

I would have to replace that Pink with something a little less girly though incase the wife nicked them :):wh

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice looking floats.

They look fairly short floats which I thought would be ok for using for the Tench lift method especially if I added some rubber tubing over the base to lock it into position, but they do take a little too much shot so would probably be a lot better if they were a little shorter and took a little less shot.

I would have to replace that Pink with something a little less girly though incase the wife nicked them :):wh

Keith

Keith, you'll struggle to find anything better for the lift method than a plain piece of peacock quill. I put a piece on with a single rubber at the base and cut it down to suit the weight I want to use on the day. I've become smitten with the stuff for still water fishing and prefer it to any floats out there just now. Just find someone with peacocks or a park where they roam about and the supply is unlimited :D.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have you got peacocks as well Ian:)

I've not Mike, the dogs would eat 'em like they did the chickens :eek:mg:.
I'm sure some of those posh houses round your neck of the woods will have some roaming in the grounds ;).
I could do with some more, i've hacked and chopped at the ones I have for several or more years now and there's mostly just bits left :rolleyes:, so if any of your neighbors have a few knockin about ;).

trotter2

Reaction score
The last ones I got were off ebay Ian they were quite cheep , the supply does seem to be spasmodic and its a question of getting in there first.
One of my favourite way to fish a simple piece of peacock quill cut of and fished on the lift magic mate.

Keith M

Reaction score
Keith, you'll struggle to find anything better for the lift method than a plain piece of peacock quill. I put a piece on with a single rubber at the base and cut it down to suit the weight I want to use on the day. I've become smitten with the stuff for still water fishing and prefer it to any floats out there just now. Just find someone with peacocks or a park where they roam about and the supply is unlimited :D.

That's exactly what I usually use as well Ian

I also use lengths of tapered peacock quill when I make my own waggler/onion floats, only I spray them a matt black (apart from the tips), whereas my short lift floats don't see any paint at all.

Keith

Last edited: