Lower itchen fishery - fm fish’in 2014

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Will the 1.7lb float fish still be OK Mick or shall I go with the 2.0

I find 2lb:8oz mainline and 2lb hooklength a perfect balance for the grayling there. I'm sure most people fishing on the day will be targeting the grayling not the game fish. From past experience on the venue one does tend to hook the big trout occasionally, personally I just pull for a break and tie another hook. I can't see the point of 6lb mainline and 4lb hooklink unless you are actually trying to catch the big trout which are out of season anyway?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I find 2lb:8oz mainline and 2lb hooklength a perfect balance for the grayling there. I'm sure most people fishing on the day will be targeting the grayling not the game fish. From past experience on the venue one does tend to hook the big trout occasionally, personally I just pull for a break and tie another hook. I can't see the point of 6lb mainline and 4lb hooklink unless you are actually trying to catch the big trout which are out of season anyway?

I'll probably fish 3.2 anyway Simon, if, as Mick says, the ladies are playing hard to get, I'll move down to either Jerry's Chub swim or Grahams Flounder spot:D.
May even bring the Barbel gear and baitrunner, never got on the Wye to use those 4oz leads this year:eek:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I would suggest a mackeral head for the conger in my flounder swim.

50lb bs and lead core leader.

Please feel free to ignore the police tape and rod rests in the swim I fancy for a change this year.
( thanks mick)

Graham

mick b

Reaction score

I find your attitude of pulling for a break and thus leaving a hook in a fish absolutely disgraceful and condemn it unreservedly!

Such an act demonstrates you have zero respect for a fish you hook simply because it is not your target species.

I wonder what the owner of the Lower Itchen Fishery or the River Keeper would think of such a callous and selfish attitude?

EVERY FM member attending should clearly understand that the Lower Itchen Fishery is one of the very few sections of the River Itchen where coarse fishing is permitted.
The majority of the Company revenue comes from the Salmon and Trout fishing, coarse angling is not an essential and could easily be lost to Indivuals or Groups who do not respect the fish that are the very basis of the Fishery.

nicepix

Reaction score
I find your attitude of pulling for a break and thus leaving a hook in a fish absolutely disgraceful and condemn it unreservedly!

Such an act demonstrates you have zero respect for a fish you hook simply because it is not your target species.

I wonder what the owner of the Lower Itchen Fishery or the River Keeper would think of such a callous and selfish attitude?

EVERY FM member attending should clearly understand that the Lower Itchen Fishery is one of the very few sections of the River Itchen where coarse fishing is permitted.
The majority of the Company revenue comes from the Salmon and Trout fishing, coarse angling is not an essential and could easily be lost to Indivuals or Groups who do not respect the fish that are the very basis of the Fishery.

With that attitude perhaps you ought to consider not putting a hook in a fish in the first place.

have you considered the alternative? Playing a game fish for ages until it is weak enough to be landed on light tackle.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Lower Itchen Fishery is one of the very few sections of the River Itchen where coarse fishing is permitted.

That is an important point for all visitors to the LIF to bear in mind, and respect.

It would be a terrible shame to lose the ability to fish on this stretch of the river due to any poor treatment of any fish, Game or Coarse, or indeed any infringement of the Rules of the Fishery.

Take care guys . . . . .

barbelboi

Reaction score
With that attitude perhaps you ought to consider not putting a hook in a fish in the first place.

have you considered the alternative? Playing a game fish for ages until it is weak enough to be landed on light tackle.

I agree with Clive, and so do the LIF. If hooking a very large out of season 'game fish' on light tackle it's unlikely that you'll be in contact very long anyway - also it is the opinion of the fishery that it is better to 'tighten up' and loose the fish rather than try to play it to exhaustion.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Definitely. Several stretches of super-private chalkstream that I was permitted to fish in winter (grayling with fly, coarse with bait) from the 1970s to mid 1990s by their owners or keepers, were lost to coarse fishers when, some time after I had stopped fishing them and moved on, they were fished by others less scrupulous - nicked spotties being just one of their "Get off this fishery" crimes.

barbelboi

Reaction score

That is your opinion Mick - not the opinion of the fishery..........

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whatever you do, tread carefully, fellas - it's easily taken away.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sound advice....especially on those rickety,rackety plank "bridges" so beloved of keepers on chalkstreams. :eek:mg:

Rickety, Rackety ??? thats the sound your bones make when your walking the bank Skippy. Last time i was there with you, i heard a noise that i thought was a Skip Lorry coming along, when i looked up, IT WAS YOU ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Just an update on the river conditions for all those fishing - I've just had a chat with the river keeper and asked if the river was in need of some rain, apparently it's in good nick as it is..................

PS Ray, sounds always appear louder at low level in a canoe, especially house bricks........;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Rickety, Rackety ??? thats the sound your bones make when your walking the bank Skippy. Last time i was there with you, i heard a noise that i thought was a Skip Lorry coming along, when i looked up, IT WAS YOU ;)

What sauce ! I will see you at the "weigh in" Clarke. Eels do not count remember !

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
What sauce ! I will see you at the "weigh in" Clarke. Eels do not count remember !

See me at the weigh in :eek:mg: ?? I have no chance, your at least 3 stone heavier than me :wh:wh;):D

They aren't eels, the last lot I caught still keep my work boots tied up.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Are we talking major prizes at this fish-in or are you all fishing for the brownie points and street cred ??

I'm looking forward to hearing which ' names ' failed to catch........ouch !!

Sounds all very jovial and fun, fun, fun but I bet some will be fishing as if life depended on it !!

nicepix

Reaction score
Are we talking major prizes at this fish-in or are you all fishing for the brownie points and street cred ??

I'm looking forward to hearing which ' names ' failed to catch........ouch !!

Sounds all very jovial and fun, fun, fun but I bet some will be fishing as if life depended on it !!

What do you mean 'failed to catch'? This is the cream of FM's anglers you are talking about. Not the PaSC :w