Morale booster

Aknib

Reaction score
A bird of sorts...

An RAF Vulcan Bomber took whilst fishing one of my waters, I think it was stationed at Doncaster and I was lucky enough to see it on several occasions over the years including one notable one when the pilot barrel rolled it into the distance.

I believe they no longer fly...

Aknib

Reaction score
Lazing away a late Summer afternoon on a day ticket stretch of the Trent, bare minimum of gear and rod butt tucked into rocks whilst easing back and trying my luck laying on a bait wherever took my fancy in the hope that the Barbel would oblige.

You can make out the black tipped Avon float, holding back nicely, just left of the centre of the picture...

Aknib

Reaction score
This gave me a memorable run around, a 17lb+ river Carp taken on the float and worm intended for perch using the 15' float rod with 6lb mainline and a 5.5lb bottom...

mikench

Reaction score
Those pictured are a blue footed boobie and a spectacled boobie. These were wild nesting birds but they had no fear of man.

nottskev

Reaction score
Those pictured are a blue footed boobie and a spectacled boobie. These were wild nesting birds but they had no fear of man.

The blue footed boobie is also famous for it's lack of a flexible approach to life. If the young bfb stays in the nest, it feeds it; if it falls out, it won't, and it will starve in plain sight. A good lesson for the rules-is-rules type of jobsworth.

peterjg

Reaction score
Those bird photos reminded me of very rare sightings of the localised ohmegoolie bird - they have no legs so when they land you can clearly hear their strange song - ohmegoolies ohmegoolies ohmegoolies!

Sorry, I do apo!ogise, I'll shut up.

nottskev

Reaction score
I didn’t know that Kev: it’s a good job they nest on the ground.

It will starve right next to the nest anyway! It appears to be "programmed" only to feed things in a nest. I heard about it in the first of her Reith lectures, on why language needs to change and adapt, by Oxford professor Jean Aitchison. She used this bird's habits to illustrate the value of flexibility.

nottskev

Reaction score
Those bird photos reminded me of very rare sightings of the localised ohmegoolie bird - they have no legs so when they land you can clearly hear their strange song - ohmegoolies ohmegoolies ohmegoolies!

A bit like the Helawi tribe. 3ft tall people who live in 4ft tall grass, and can be heard saying We're the......

bullet

Reaction score
A few from warmer climes...

Big Trumpet fish

20200329_163816.jpg

Nice Snook for a mate on an Abu Koster

20200329_164110.jpg

Jack on a Dexter wedge...

IMG_20171022_171752085.jpg

A few casts as the sun sets..

IMG_20160207_180131956.jpg

Keith M

Reaction score

Also seen in many ‘Wild West Shows’ according to the song :)

Along with the hellarewe tribe which are pigmies who live in tall grasslands and all day long they run around jumping up and down shouting “we’re the hellarewe” “we’re the hellarewe”

Ok I’ll get my hat as well

oops! sorry Kev we must have posted at the same time :)

Keith

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
oops! sorry Kev we must have posted at the same time :)

Keith

No worries, Keith - we can share the credit for that gem. Btw - that's some "stream" you fish!! I wish there was one like that around here.